I need some help for an assignment! University student questionnaire inside.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JimmyCraig, Feb 11, 2014.

1. JimmyCraig

JimmyCraig

Hi there

For an assignment I have to ask university students a few questions about stress and university. I only need a few people (5 most), but feel free to join in anyway!

Only 3 questions:
    1. What causes you stress about you particular field of studies?
    2. According to you, why do you think so many first years drop out?
    3. What do you do to relieve stress?

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Craig

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I should report this post for age discrimination. :D

-Mike

3. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

1. The need to publish
    2. Not knowing "how to work"
    3. Alcohol

4. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

I remember the stress and pressure of my final year as a physics undergraduate all too well, even though it was over 20 years ago.

So, to answer your questions...

1) Meeting deadlines. Leaving things until the last minute is an artform.

2) Because they realise it's too hard.

3) Drugs, alcohol, TV and as much naughty shenanigans with hot rock-chicks as I could crowbar into a day.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

It's purposeful sampling. If the sample were to include all age groups, then the external validity of the results would be suspect. Although, technically, it would be transferability since this is qualitative data....Damn it, Mike, you got me all in research methods mode again!

Report on! :D

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

1) Trying to explain things I studied to people that think they know everything about the subject that are mistaken. :rollno:

2) Because they have not been prepared for the real world.

3) I punch the clown :bag:

8. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

1. The precision required and the resulting stiff penalties for making a mistake.

2. Because they discover drugs, and alcohol and lose their way.

3. Choke the Chicken.

9. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

This thread should be retitled "Amusing Euphemisms For Masturbation".

:D

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

clown66.jpg

:bag:

11. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

i) Not having the necessary equipment or tutors that would go along with my hare-brained research projects.

ii) They discover girls and/or neck beards.

iii) Spank the monkey.

12. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

13. pie_man_25

pie_man_25

Dear god, are you me... except in grad school?

14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Oh, are we answering the question from the perspective of a grad student now? :D

1. I'm in a multi-disciplinary program, and many recruiters in the real world like to think in heuristic boxes. Therefore, they can't easily put me in a box, like "mechanical engineer" or "accountant," which makes selling myself twice as hard. Oh that and realizing that I've personally lived through just about every issue of PHD Comics, which is somewhat depressing. :meh: :D

2. People get past their course work, pass their comps, then find out they have to write this really long document called a thesis or dissertation and that they really don't know how to do research (okay, not really a first year grad student issue, but ABT/ABD is probably when most attrition occurs).

3. Tell myself that I'm cool because I actually understand what Grumpius's Bandura reference is about.

In all seriousness, with regard to Question 2 and college students, it's my experience that many are not fully prepared by their high school education to do college-level work. There are other variables at work as well, such as someone being a first-generation college student and so forth. Hey, there's a dissertation topic for some D.Ed candidate out there.

15. arbitrary

arbitrary

hehehe...a meeting with Madame Palm and her five daughters

16. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Mine is fairly similar!

1. Pressure to publish, loss of perspective and justification of thesis.
    2. Lack of self control (being away from mummy and daddy means party party party).
    3. Malty treats, hitting people (rugby) and lifting heavy things.

17. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

My doctoral work was in Biophotonics, so I can sympathise. End up confusing both Biologists and Physicists!

"A biophysicist talks physics to the biologists and biology to the physicists, but then he meets another biophysicist, they just discuss women."

PhD Comics is great, also worrying how consistent the experiences seem to be!

Anecdotal, but very few people seemed to get to the stage of needing to write the thesis, then not actually write it. I saw more PhD students drop out due to the pressures of academic life, while it may be easy going at times, the requirement to basically live the job and often working 16+ hour days, working weekends and having no holidays (all while earning barely enough to pay the rent) all adds up (not to mention the pressures on relationships etc.).

I'm not familiar with the US high school and university system, but certainly here, the jump in difficulty is fairly minor in the first year (difference in teaching style is certainly much bigger IME).

18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Here, high school experiences can vary even within a state, and not all high schools are created equal, regardless if they're public or private. I'm being anecdotal, but it's my experience that many students lack 1) writing skills and 2) abstract thinking skills. With regard to the latter issue, there may be some Piagetian cognitive development that still needs to take place with first year students. However, the first issue seems extremely problematic.

As part of my graduate assistant duties one semester, I graded and edited weekly course synthesis and reflection papers for a class full of seniors. Some of the writing was pretty bad, and it wasn't uncommon for my pen to throw up on some students' papers. My supervisor once called me a "mean female parent fornicator*" due to some of my candid corrections to students' writing. With that said, I can proudly say that many students did finish the class as qualitatively better writers due to my critiques.

The high school problem is pretty complex, though, and there aren't any easy or reductionist solutions to improving that situation. I'm not an education expert either, but these are just some of the trends I notice.

*The sanitized version for Talkbass. :D

19. IPA

IPA

You don't have to be 18 to be in college!

20. IPA

IPA

1. Worrying about end-of-degree stuff, what certifications I will need, if any, will I even be able to get a job with what I'm doing, etc. Not worried about getting through the degree itself really.

2. Cushy helicopter parents that don't encourage independence/when away from home lacking independent skills and coping skills

3. work out, drink beer, sometimes in that order

21. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I think many graduate students go through this when they are writing their theses and dissertations. Your academic life isn't very structured at that point, so it's sometimes hard to understand "what all of this is for."

I'm fortunate in that my dissertation subject is one that has a substantial enough body of scholarship upon which a lit review can be written, but it's not widely researched to the point that my findings will be obsolete by my defense. I can pretty much fire off by memory the citations of all of the major thinkers in my subject area. Plus, my approach to the subject matter is totally novel compared to any scholarship done previously on the subject. The unfortunate side of not having a hot research topic is that finding publication outlets is more difficult, and most conferences that cater to my field of interest and expertise are more practitioner-based rather than scholar-based. But I'm starting to present here in the upcoming months, and I'm pretty excited about that.