1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I need some help with the Behringer BSY600 Bass Synth Wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kidkolumbo, Oct 15, 2013.

1. kidkolumbo

kidkolumbo

I just opened up the pedal and played with it. So far it is totally worth the money with one caveat. I can't stop the pedal from squawking. No matter how I set the decay, the resonance, and the frequency, there's still a loud thump every time the pedal picks up my playing. I'm not sure if it'll get picked up once I try it with my band in a couple weeks, but alone at home, it is barely noticeable at best and annoying at worst.

Any suggestions? What causes this? Am I doomed to forever have that volume spike? If this explanation isn't adequate, I'll make some clips.
  2. kidkolumbo

kidkolumbo

3. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

I've noticed the same thing. Still exploring in terms of compression, position of the expression pedal (when attached), etc.
  4. kidkolumbo

kidkolumbo

Great. Be sure to share what you work out, I would be very appreciative :)
  5. Syxz_ML

Syxz_ML

Bought a BSY600 few months back only because it was being sold so cheap ($15). I plugged it in by itself just to make sure it worked and messed with it somewhat and thought the same thing. I never went ahead and threw it on my pedalboard though. I always assumed i would just throw a compressor after it when i came around to using it. Your volume spikes seem alot more noticable then from what I remember. Are you using an active bass by any chance?
  6. kidkolumbo

kidkolumbo

Not a chance. I play a Squire PBass. Not all of the volume spikes are that bad. Some are worse, some are better. That was just the first favorite sound I found that showed the issue.
  7. avvie

avvie Supporting Member

This might be a real stretch here, but I'm gonna throw it out there because of some observations made from a filter pedal I have:
    I think what you may be experiencing is the "sonic boom" of a certain low frequency as the filter sweeps up when the note is hit. To make the explanation even more silly (but the only way I know to describe it in print), each time you attack the string the filter turns the note into a "dweeee" tone, and the frequency it sweeps past right in between the "d" and the "w" is one that rattles the speakers a bit and gives the impression of a volume spike. That's what I'm hearing, anyway.
  8. kidkolumbo

kidkolumbo

I'll take it. Any ways to stop it?
  9. Adamixoye

After playing around with it, it's definitely a sub-frequency. Maybe a high-pass filter after it is the solution?
  10. avvie

avvie Supporting Member

That sounds like a reasonable solution to me but I'm sure someone else here has some other options.
  11. kidkolumbo

kidkolumbo

Well, I'm buying a Digitech Bass Synth Wah to compliment my BSY600. It does have a filter on it. Maybe I just have to run both of them? Wouldn't that be silly.
  12. Adamixoye

The BSW filter won't do the "high pass" I was referring to.
  13. avvie

avvie Supporting Member

I'm also thinking that a limiter might be an answer but I'm not positive.
    Last night at practice I ran a dual compressor sim that has hi/low filters in it. It took the sub frequency out and left everything else pretty even. My speaker appreciated it. Before that I hadn't really noticed how erratic the dynamics of my playing was. I woild dare say that you have done me afavor by posting this thread, so mahalo!
  14. kidkolumbo

kidkolumbo

No problem, glad you fixed the problem. I don't have the gear too. I'll probably just use it for specific sounds then. I played my guitar through it though, and it sounds AMAZING. Layering the synth tone with the guitar tone makes for a great sound. I may keep it there, especially since I bought the Digitech Bass Synth Wah just now.

Oh, and for future reference, Digitech Bass Synth Wah isn't better than the regular Synth Wah, just different. I A/B'd them both, and they behave differently and have different settings. I know this isn't the place, so I'll probably just make a separate post for it when I get my recording gear back.