I need some tension in my life.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by VeganThump, Nov 28, 2012.

1. VeganThump

VeganThump

Ok a little background...

I used to play a 4 string Marcus Miller Jazz and I always rested my thumb in the bridge pickup and really dug in. Recently I've made the switch to a 5 string pbass that I strung with chromes, in in love with the sound and feel, but I've noticed that I get the best tone if I play closer to the neck and rest my finger on the pickguard. The problem is, I HATE how loose the string tension is there, as I like to really dig in when I play. Can anyone help or recommend high tensions flats?

2. gary m

gary m

As a rule, Chromes are considered to be higher in tension than the average flatwound, but there's string gauge to factor in also. In your case, it might be as simple as going to a higher gauge set of Chromes.

LaBellas are also fairly high tension strings.

3. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

4. VeganThump

VeganThump

Yeah I think I may be trying to achieve something that is impossible, I want the same tension on a pbass playing near the the neck as I got on a jazz bass playing by the bridge. So maybe 50-135 gauge perhaps could help?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

The closer you are to the neck the tension will lower.

I play there, partly because I like lower tension.
    Here are all the flats I found too high tension.

Higher gauge Chromes will help.
    Labellas, (FM or FS) Rotosounds, DR's, Fenders.

On the other hand, you may just wait and see if you can adjust.

7. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

On the other hand there is a 5 string set of Roto flats on the classifieds.

8. DieterVDW

DieterVDW

Yeah that's not going to happen ...
    The tension on the strings would have to be A LOT higher then.
    You would need a specially built bass, probably with a lot thicker or stronger neck...

9. VeganThump

VeganThump

Yeah I've had the flats on there for a few months, I even tried adjusting my technique, but I found that I really just need to dig in, it's my thing I guess. Im gonna check out the roto77s, looks like they only make the one set though, 45-130, I was hoping to try 50-130ish, oh well, ill look at that set on the classifieds though, thanks!

10. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

Nickle DR lo-Riders are about the highest tension strings I've put on (in 105-45) so much so that I could not play over the bridge pickup on a Jazz. They felt more normal near the neck and over the neck pickup. They make Rotos seem like they have less tension. Try some Lo-Riders?

11. VeganThump

VeganThump

Im looking for high tension flats though.

12. David Jayne

David Jayne

LaBella Deep Talkin' flats are pretty stiff. But ultimately you'll have to adjust your technique. You'll get somewhat better results plucking directly over the pickup.

13. VeganThump

VeganThump

When I first got the bass that's where I originally was playing, I liked the tone and feel playing there, but I found the closer I moved towards the neck, the more I liked the way it sounded, real thick and round, ya know?

14. OhValhalla

OhValhalla

Definitely not impossible. I am the same as you. I like that position and like higher tension.

The highest tension flats are, in no particular order: 52-110 Labellas, 50-110 Rotosounds, 55-105 Older Fender Flats (these are in a grey package with a bass on the front, they have green silks only at the ballend). I've tried nearly everything on the high tension flats spectrum. However, any higher gauge flat should do the trick and perhaps even a tad higher action.