I need suggestions for recording bass on a Zoom multitrack recorder?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Timpala, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Timpala

Timpala Supporting Member

Be patient with me. I have some home recording experience (Tascam 4 track tape) :), but have been mostly at the mercy of the studio engineer when recording albums.

I am looking to record my band. We are not a serious touring band so it doesn't have to be big studio quality. I am looking at a Zoom R16 or R24 digital recorder. This leads me to my questions.

1) What is the best way to record the bass on a small digital recorder? I was thinking a Bass DI such as the MXR M-80. Good bass mics are very pricey, but would get one if needed. We will all be playing live in the same room. My thought is that if I recorded bass through a DI, it would be easier to mix the recording?

2) Are the Zoom recorders any good? Or good enough for somewhat easy live band recording? Any other suggestions are welcome.

3) Would a bass DI be better for recording bass on Garage Band than just plugging in to the computer and using their EQ settings?

Like I said, I am new to home recording. Keep it stupid simple for me please. I appreciate it.
  2. zagralin_arf

zagralin_arf

1) The bass DI would give you more control, but make sure you have a good compressor otherwise the DI signal will be all wonky and you might not like your tone.

2) The Zoom recorders are ok, but I'd recommend going with a good compression pedal instead of spending money on a recorder, especially if you already have Garageband as you mentioned in #3.

3) You can get some ok bass sounds from the stock Garageband stuff. The M80 has some good sounds too though...its really all about what compressor pedal you use.
  3. Timpala

Timpala Supporting Member

i am pretty sure I can add compression after recording on Garage Band. I was kind of looking for something portable to record with. With the Zoom, I can record the tracks and then import them to Garage Band or any other mixing software. This is my theory anyway. I know that they make an individual track plug in for Garage Band, but have heard bad reviews.