I NEED The Amp More, But I WANT The Bass More...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Daniel Dye, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Daniel Dye

Daniel Dye

Probably a common issue here - I know what amp I want to get, which I need much more than I need a new bass, but I've found a bass for a couple hundred less than the amp that I absolutely fell in love with, and is basically exactly what I've been hoping for in my next bass. I need a new amp to play at church (we have one that is sufficient, but it's not really that good), so I want to buy a Carvin BX500 head with a Carvin 410 cab to bring to church when I play so I can actually sound good. The amp at church is an old 200W SWR that I don't like at all, and my amp at home is an Acoustic B20 that I don't care fore, and certainly isn't powerful enough to play at church. Now, along comes the Brice Defiant 6, from Rondo Music. My amp setup would be altogether around $800, and this bass is $599. I've been looking for a pretty-looking 6'er with a rosewood fretboard, and hey! There it is! And I'll have enough for the bass before I have enough for the amp. GAH! Quite the predicament... not sure which I should go for. I've got a good amp accessible at school whenever I need it, and a... well, a working amp at church to use. However, I also have a nice bass (Sterling Ray34), though it's not the 6-string with rosewood fretboard I've been looking for... poop!

2. Daniel Dye

Daniel Dye

Meant to say, there's no way to know for sure when the next time the Brice will be available, I've had issues with basses disappearing from Rondo right before I buy them before, so... that's an issue. There's no reason the amp setup I want won't be there the next time I have $800 (which would be... well, several months).

3. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Easy. Go for the amp. That's a nice Carvin rig you're looking at. Professional grade, long-term purchase type item. The Brice from Rondo? Not to be insulting, but you're talking budget-line low-end stuff. It could possibly need some mods for playability and stability as well. You don't say whether you have experience on a 6 string, but if you don't, it's not something you just jump on and master. What's the urgency for the budget 6 string besides mere want? The amp sounds like a need as you say, and your money is better spent on that pro rig rather than a "Rondo special." Your Sterling Ray34, while still a budget line, going through the Carvin will sound great. And, if you care, the Ray34 will garner more respect and be more reliable than the Brice.

4. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

IMO get the amp. Nothing makes a bigger difference in the quality of you sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    The BX500 is a good amp. Which Carvin 4x10 are you looking at?

7. ssabass

ssabass Gold Supporting Member

The amp- no question. Wouldn't you feel a little foolish needing a good amp, having the money, then showing up with a new bass instead? Then you won't have the dough for what you need- go with the needs first.

8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

The amp head and cabinet are the way to go here. You have a bass now and should keep saving up for a REALLY good 6 string. Get a used one - you can get a great used 6 string for $800. It's going to be difficult to find since the 6 string is not too common, but your money will go farther this way. Check your local Guitar Center for a used 6 string....

9. Daniel Dye

Daniel Dye

The BR410-4. I know there's some "Professional Series" cabs available, but... I'm hoping not to pay that much more, if they aren't EXCEPTIONALLY better than the regular ones. I work 5-9 hours each week in a day care for minimum wage, so I don't have a ton of money to work with. I'm 17, so there's really no expenses to worry about yet, other than saving for the future, but... I still just don't have a whole lot of money to throw around.

10. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

I'd agree with the "go for the amp" sentiment. I've only ever really owned one, really decent amp (I liked it, anyway), and no matter what I played through it, it tended to sound pretty great. A great bass through a less-than-stellar amp will always sound like a wet fart, no matter how hard you try to make things work...

at least, that's MY experience.

11. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Yep. Get the amp. You already have a nice bass (nicer than the one you're looking at in my opinion, but hey we all want different stuff!). You can make really good noise with a Sterling bass and that rig. Plus, if you ever got the chance to play somewhere other than your church, your current setup just wouldn't get the job done. Put that fire out first.

You will always be able to find a cheap 6'er when you want one. Heck, for less than that one new you can find a Carvin 6 used that would blow it out of the water. They are great basses, but the resale SUCKS on them. I know because I sold one before. I had a Carvin LB76 black with tung oil neck and lots of options I ended up selling for around $450 because it was the only offer I got in months.

12. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Yup.

13. Jawbone

Jawbone

Amp all the way! There are a lot of sixers you still need to try out. + That seems like a lot to pay for that Rondo.

14. UncleFluffy

Disclosures:
    You may want to look at the BRX 10.2 for about the same price. It's a 2x10, but there's a lot of difference in quality between the BR and BRX series. I've seen large bar / small outdoor gigs played with one so there's no shortage of volume. YMMV, of course, but something to think about.

15. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

The BRX series is pretty amazing!

16. Daniel Dye

Daniel Dye

Thanks for all the quick responses! Obviously general consensus is that the amp is the way to go, which is what I was leaning more towards. With the bass, I know Rondo basses tend to give a lot of bang for the buck, so I figured a Rondo in the $500 range would be equivalent to a slightly more expensive one of another brand. Not sure! I really want to get into the 6 string realm as soon as possible, but the amp will set me back quite a while, since I don't make much money (LOVE the job, don't like the pay and minimal hours). As far as the BRX10.2, does the 210 have similar or equivalent output and tonal characteristics to the 410, just in terms of speaker setup?

17. UncleFluffy

Disclosures:
    The brx 10.2 will go lower without farting than the br410.

18. Wallace320

Wallace320

My €. 0,02

Go for head and cab

Your Sterling34 is a very good boy and thru a Carvin head and 4X10 cab, you'll be able to sit authoritatively in every mix

As I wouldn't go further with a Rondo Brice, I tend to suggest
    a 4x10 anyway

It's still very good and the power you need better distributed.

Cheers,
    Wallace

19. Chico16

Chico16

THE AMP!! Like others have said, that bass my look nice, however it's low end stuff. Plus you already have one that you don't complain about. To me, the upgrade list always goes Cab-Amp-Bass. Another thing, have you played a 6 before? I'm a 5 string guy and I had GAS for a 6 once. I went to GC to try one out, did NOT like them at all. I felt it was too much, bridge too big etc and the high C wasn't all that. Didn't see the need for it. So if anything, you should try one out first before settling for one. Also, for that price range on that Brice you were looking at you could get a good bass that isn't as low end. Lots of options out there!

20. Wallace320

Wallace320

+1
    each and every line

I once did the same

Still own mostly 4ers (with Hipshot bass extenders on some...)
    and a few 5ers

No more 6ers whatsoever

Cheers,
    Wallace

21. soulman969

soulman969

If it's advice you're looking for then I'd say buy the amp although you probably don't even need one that big at your church. The amp is a need whereas the bass is simply a want.

You might save your self a few bucks with something smaller and use that towards a used 6 string somewhere down the line. There are a lot of good used ones out there up for sale by guys who thought it would be cool to own one until they figured out just how much more difficult they are to play.

I read your OP. "Lookin' for a pretty looking 6'er with a rosewood board". Looks to me like you're thinking with your eyes and not your head. You know a Carvin amp will sound great but you know a lot less about how a $600 bass will sound.

That's pretty inexpensive for a new 6 string when most are way over $1000 new. Look around and make sure you get one that plays just as good or better than it looks. JHMO