1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I need to discuss my amp/cab requirements.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

I've posted a topic in the basses section to go through my requirements there, so this will just be about my rig.

Currently I have the following:

Promethean P500H head
    Markbass 2x12 4 ohm
    Fender rumble 1x12 8 ohm

And I have amplitube/irig for silent practice.

Now, I have to say first and foremost that I'm not a talented bassist, can't read notation, don't know much theory etc and am not very creative. I play covers, quite badly.

Here's my situation.

I am in a band, quite loud classic rock stuff. But we aren't doing much these days. I need something light weight (sub 35lbs per part) and loud enough for gigs. I can't use the PA even though I'd like to.

Silent practice at home is fine, as I live in an upstairs flat, but would be nice to still be able to move a small combo to my lounge to hear my playing through an amp sometimes. It would need to have an aux in for the ipad.
    And I'd also like something light/small enough to take on the bus to jams.

Finally, and this is the best bit, I have zero cash to put towards anything, it all has to come from the current gear sales/trades.

So, what would you do?
  2. john m

john m Supporting Member

The Ibanez head with the 212 cab.

(I didn't realize Markbass made a 212).
  3. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

GK MB combo, pick your favorite speaker config.
  4. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Yeah, this combination sounds absolutely amazing. But I live on the second floor, and carting it up and down the stairs is a killer.

Any recommendations as to which gk mb combo?
  5. SpinyNorman

SpinyNorman Supporting Member

Since the MB combos basically contain an MB head, I would recommend a used MB 200 (~$200 used), with a separate cabinet. There's so much more flexibility when using separates, allowing one to grow the amp as cash becomes available.
  6. Jack

Jack

Pretty much any micro head that you can afford in a backpack for part one. And then there are loads of cabinets in the sub-35lbs category these days. The GK Neo 112 (well, two of them) would be ideal. Easy one-hand carries. The biggest problem you face here in honesty is that you tend to pay for the privilege of lightweight gear.

Doesn't help unless it's a regular trip but what's wrong with just having a few cabs scattered about the place? I have my beautiful Barefaceds that go to gigs and stuff but I got so tired of taking one to band practice twice a week that I held out for a good deal on an average cab and I just leave it at the rehearsal space.

I know you said you don't have cash for this but it might be worth looking in to if you really like your current rig.

TL;DNR Swap that 2x12" for two 1x12"s :p
  7. Versatek6

Versatek6 Supporting Member

The MB200 is an excellent head. It also has both a DI out, so you could use it with PA support, plus a headphones out for practice. Couple this with a GK Neo 112-II at about 30 pounds, and you are good.

With careful/lucky buying, I was able to get a used head for $140, and used cabinet for $250 shipped. If the time comes I need more, I'll add a second cabinet.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    For a loud band, you're going to kick yourself if you use anything less than the 212. The schlep only lasts a couple minutes. Some gigs can last hours.
  9. IPYF

IPYF

I don't know why you want to change up. Do you really need to or are you just getting antsy?

It sounds like the rig you have would be perfect for the scenarios you present. Take whichever cab is best suited to the size of the venue.

With no added capital the best you could hope for would be a sideways trade, which might take a couple of kg off your back for the few minutes you're carrying your stuff but present you with fewer other actual benefits.
  10. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

You should take a look at barefaced bass. Two of their smaller cabs and a beef amp will get you heard.
  11. munkeyfish

munkeyfish

Sorry to derail a bit. But with the MB200, how would you add say 2 of the GK Neo112cabs? Open to anyone who knows.
  12. SpinyNorman

SpinyNorman Supporting Member

Unfortunately, I don't think you can. Both the MB200 and Neo 112 only have a single Speakon connector, so there's no direct way to chain two cabinets. You either have to find a splitter box, if such a thing exists, or look at other cabinets that have multiple connectors.
  13. munkeyfish

munkeyfish

I just seen the back of the cab om GK website, I was only seeing the info on MF. Kinda limits things....
  14. Jack

Jack

A splitter box would be easy to build, or just a cable. It's the kind of thing a hobbyist could do or have someone do it for you. In the UK we have brightonion pedals and OBBM cables that would both take on a project such as that, there must be something similar in the states.

I believe the GK Neo cabs have a 1/4" jack though, so you won't need one. And seeing as the MB200 isn't biamp you won't lose anything using 1/4" over speakon. Well, it's not as good a connector but you know.
  15. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Bingo.
    If you need a small combo for practice trade for one.
    Look for an old SWR Working Mans 10. Amazing little box.
  16. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

your ibanez head should already be back-packable and the mb 2x12 cab should have you covered for most practices. it may not be the lightest cab in the world but i can't see you saving a whole lot of weight shifting to a different 2x12. unfortunately any move to help you out is going to take some cash to make it happen.