1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I Need To Have My Bass Setup And Restrung.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris919zz, Feb 5, 2014.

1. chris919zz

chris919zz

I Need To Have My Bass Setup And Restrung.

I purchased a 2008 Fender American Standard Precision Bass.

It is in new ... Never left the store condition. I am the original owner.

I would like to find someone in Austin, Texas who could setup and restring my Bass with some really good flatwounds.

How do I go about finding a good Luthier???

I do not want to take my Bass to Guitar Center and just cross my fingers and hope for the best. I would like to take it to someone who is well known and recommended. Then again ... Maybe I am just an over-protective parent.

2. Doctor J

Doctor J

Why not spend 30 minutes on youtube learning how it's done and do it all yourself? Setups, genuinely, are not complicated and, as for restringing, it could not be simpler. Don't be intimidated, learn and do.

3. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

+1 and it only gets easier after the first time

4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Find Lauren Ellis. She lives there and is the best. She used to be here in Nashville, but is now in Austin. She is a miracle worker who will get it right the first time (fair prices too). No one should take their gear to GC unless they have to, and even then I would advise against it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

If she's willing to let the OP watch, then I'd say it's worth the money. Otherwise, learn on youtube.

7. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

+2

At least give it a try first. There's really no irreversible damage to be done as long as you're gentle with the truss rod... plus, depending how drastic the difference in tension is with the new strings, chances are you'll only need to adjust the bridge saddles.

8. Lownote38

Lownote38

She always let me watch and taught me a lot. She does clinics on this stuff. I wish she still lived here!

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

10. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

With all due respect, I would advise against this. Have at least someone with experience walk you through it the first time.

11. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

As has been explained to me here in other threads similar to this one, some folks are simply not mechanically inclined, and as such cannot fathom taking a tool to their bass. At first I argued and mocked, assuming that since I can do it then everyone should be able to do it. However as it is with many things in life, that simply is not the case. A lot of folks would simply rather trade their time for money, and then trade that money to someone else for a setup. Would I do this? No. Does it make the practice wrong? No.

12. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Fenders are pretty easy to set up. As far as the truss rod goes its a freaking 2x4 with a metal rod running through it. As long as you use common sense and don't force anything you won't mess anything up.

13. Lownote38

Lownote38

Not everyone naturally has common sense, or I wouldn't see so many Fenders with the trussrod nut tightened all the way down and all chewed up from using a phillips head screwdriver on them. 1/4 turn at a time and using a flathead on those trussrod nuts isn't exactly common sense anyway. It's something one has to learn.
    With that said, I described the old trussrod nuts Fender used, but it's just as easy to screw up one that uses a hex key by using the wrong size. I still say take it to someone.

14. Gorn Captain

I'm mechanically challenged. I'm awful at anything involving tools, but what I've found with setups is that the word setup denotes more than is often necessary. It's really just adjustments. Minor tweaks that aren't even always necessary with string changes. But, if this tech in Austin will let the OP watch and ask questions, then I think it's totally worth it.

15. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

I don't understand how people can think there is some special technique in turning a nut. There is only one way to do it. You turn it.

16. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog Supporting Member

If you are talented enough to play a reasonable bass line, you are more than talented enough to adjust a neck, set string height, set intonation, and install a set of strings.

17. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

The tech in the Round Rock GC seems pretty bass savvy and is an actual luthier (not sure how long they'll be able to keep him). Jason of Jason's Guitars in Round Rock does good work as well. Walter from the Music Exchange on 51st always did good guitar setups for me and knows basses pretty well (not sure if he still does setups, haven't been there in a few years). If you can locate Chuck who used to work at the Bass Emporium he did the best setups I've ever played. A tech at Austin Vintage Guitars did a crazy great setup on my Les Paul, no idea which tech it was, but the guys at the store seem to know their stuff (my Ampeg V5 is on consignment there now). I'm not sure if Rob Hacker is still active but if you can reach him at Austin Custom Guitars he's good but way south, off of Slaughter.

I can do setups myself, I'm just not good at them so if I can find someone good I'll get them to do it.

18. MoreBeer

MoreBeer

I agree...setting up yourself isn't that daunting of a task. Unless there's issues with the bass, such as something broken, just do it yourself. Youtube is your friend here.

19. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I agree with learning to do it yourself, however I got spoiled by some very good setups that were beyond my abilities. That plus I'm lazy.

20. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

Walter at Musical Exchange on North Loop. It's a great place.

21. Gorn Captain

Completely off topic, but I hear Austin is a great town and it's number 1 on my list of US cities I wanna visit.

Carry on...