1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I need your advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by VKoelho, Mar 9, 2014.

1. VKoelho

VKoelho

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place but ima give it a go :p
    It's been 8 months since I bought my first bass (Squier jbass vintage modified) and Imo it is a great bass for it's price (only $300) but the thing is I'm not really happy with it's sound.

It has 2 single coils duncan designed pickups but I've been thinking in opening a hole and putting a P-bass pickup (spb-3 by seymour duncan)

I choose that pickup because I'm a big fan of mark hoppus from blink182 and I wanted a tone just like his but when I went out to search about that quarter pound I ended up discovering the other quarter pounders (spb 1/2/4) and it left me with this big question....

Wich one should I pick?
    P.s.: pardon my poor english and punctuation and "noobness" about basses in general.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Hoppus does use the SPB-3, no doubt. I prefer more vintage sounding pickups myself, so I'd do the SPB-1 if I had to choose Duncan, but I'm so blown away by the new Geezer Butler P from EMG that I became an endorser over it. Not quite out yet, but any day.

3. VKoelho

VKoelho

Since I'm using a jbass I need to cut the holes and everything else and I was wondering if the sjb quarter pound are as good as their P cousins...

4. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    If I were you, I would replace the single coil J pickups with dual inline coil J pickups. I think you'd be amazed at the difference in the tone flexibility, clear sound, and no noise at all. Plus you wouldn't have to do wood surgery.

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. VKoelho

VKoelho

Pardon me, could you give me examples of models? don't know a lot about pickups heh...

7. BlueTalon

Disclosures:
    Sure. Lots of companies make them.

Bartolini 9CBJD L1/S1, 9CBJD L3/S3
    Fender Super 55
    Nordstrand NJ4SV, NJ4SE
    Aguilar 4J-HC

That should get you started.

(Note: I use Fender Super 55 pickups in my avatar bass.)

8. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

I agree. I'd try that and see how you like it.

Use 500k volume pots and a Fender TBX tone if you want a bit more edge/clarity.

You can always buy an affordable P bass and Seymour Duncan QP P pickup later if you like.

You could also buy a used Hoppus, and you have 2 nice basses (P and J) in your arsenal.

9. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

You could do a bath tub rout under the pick guard and always put the Jazz pickup back into it later if you wanted to.

To answer your question, I am no fan of the Q-pounder P pickups. They are to mid scooped, to boomy on the low end and brittle sounding on the high end. If you do go the P-J route, I would replace the bridge pickup with the hottest noise canceling Jazz pickup you can find. With the single coil you would never be able to get rid of the 60hz hum as there would not be another coil to cancel it out.

10. VKoelho

VKoelho

I looked over YT for that Aguilar 4J-HC and it really blew me away, what a pup!
    The thing is cost and delivery time since I live in Brazil. It would cost me between 10$ and 45$ of shipping and if I ordered it now it would arrive between march 21 and may 6 (depending on which shipping service I choose)

11. BlueTalon

Disclosures:
    Yes, living in an inconvenient place usually requires more money and patience. I'm glad you found something you liked though, and I think it will be worth the wait. I'm sure you're going to be really happy with it.

Como vai voce!