1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I need your help..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimispier, Feb 16, 2014.

1. jimispier

jimispier

I have purchased tons of 6 strings guitars (non-basses) but this is my first time buying a bass and I am in need of assistance.

I am trying to decide between the ESP LTD F-155dx:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-F-155DX-5-String-Bass-Guitar-109705202-i1396594.gc

and the Jackson JS3V
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-JS3V-Concert-5-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-107470627-i2034747.gc

I have a few days before I have to pull the trigger on this and I want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck as well as not have any issues down the road.

Thank you very much!
    Jimi
  2. JonDark

JonDark

3. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

ESP/LTD make good basses for the money. If you're coming over from treble-land, you might think about a short scale bass to start with, though... they ease the transition a bit.
  4. jimispier

jimispier

That is something I am concerned about too. I have medium sized hands and I want to make sure that the neck radius isn't going to prohibit me from getting to all the notes/strings.
  5. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

I have girly hands, and haven't any problem playing even five string guitars. Don't sweat the radius. But some are more comfortable than others, and again, I'd suggest trying a couple of short scale basses... maybe the Epiphone EB0, or the Gretsch Junior Jet.
  6. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

OP, you may also consider an Ibanez SR505 or maybe a BTB.
  7. JGbassman

JGbassman

Id suggest the cbxv. I have the Dave ellefson sig bolt on and love it. The neck is very thin and sounds good and is fast. The body is Alder and has a quartersawn maple neck. It has emg pups and a good three band pre amp. It actually cuts through the mix even nicer than my Spector does. You can find them used in the same price range and is a great bass.
  8. JGbassman

JGbassman

This is the cbxv in action last night

Attached Files:

9. JGbassman

JGbassman

A better shot

Attached Files:

10. jimispier

jimispier

It looks like Dave designed this bass before starting his own line. At least according to the Jackson site. http://www.jacksonguitars.com/basse...oncert-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-quicksilver/

I want to buy brand new and I only have $400-$450 to spend. So, I am looking at getting a bass from Guitar Center and slapping on an extended warranty.

I like the ESP for the style but I worry that looks won't necessarily equal sound (I really like beautifully clear and pronounced sounds in my instruments). Whereas the Jackson lacks in the style department but the woods are better and the pick ups appear to be better.

I am trying to go for (what I do with all my guitars, past present and future) is to set myself up to be able to play any style of music (if called to do so) without having any limiting factors (Pickups are too hot, not hot enough, sounds too metal, sounds too mellow). I want the guitar to sound wonderful playing blues as well as metal, country, jazz, classic rock, etc. I want a 5 string and the two guitars that I listed are the ones I can pick up here locally and get serviced if I need to.

Once again, I really appreciate all of your help!
  11. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

The nice thing about buying in person at GC is that you get to try the bass before you buy it. I do think you can't go wrong with ESP/LTD guitars.
  12. Wallace320

Wallace320

but then why are you leanin' towards an Ellefson and an Araya
    knockoff?

They even look to be two distictive "strictly for metal/strictly for pick" kinda basses

I know for sure any bass can be used for anythin', but sure I don't see an F155 and a JS3V to play jazz, country or blues

They don't even deliver in that much in metal, unless you grab the real things (with neckthru contruction and active pickups) or can count on serious amp/cab and/or pedalboard!

Sometimes look doesn't help
    I play thrash metal it's been 20+ years and I tell you that an Ibanez Sr, as already suggested, or Squier active deluxe Jazz V (5 string) can count on three band active equalizer but also on a very useful midfrequency switch, to better cut thru the mix

Squier active deluxe Jazz V is the bigger 5 string neck in the market, and one of those heavy basses, but remember that sometimes, unless you're Ibanez, body - not look - gets the job done...

Cheers,
    Wallace
  13. JGbassman

JGbassman

One nice thing about emg soapbar pups is you can get many different sounding choices with them. Single coil/double coil taps, a p/j combo, crystal clear or growly. My jackson has many tones I can get out of it. I can go from a burpy Jaco tone of a single coil jazz (without the hum) to a deep thuddy Motown sound and not have to touch my amp. I have a am fender jazz v and a Spector v that isn't as tonality variable as the Jackson. Im really stunned on its voicing. I really didntv expect it to be as good as it is. I got it used for 320.00 and planned it as a backup to my Spector. But its now the other way around. And I love my Spector. I would definitely try it. It has difderent pups and electronics than the one you looked at, and the neck is thinner as well. Its a 1000.00 bass in sheep's clothing.
  14. JGbassman

JGbassman

Im not wanting to steer you, just offering my findings.
  15. JGbassman

JGbassman

I play with three bands, two covers and one original. One is a country rock, the other two rock. I play my jazz in the country gig, but only because its in standard tuning and the other two are set up for a half step down. But it would fit in the mix fine. I could care less what a bass looks like as long as the sound and playability is there.