1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I need your opinion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by guillaume91188, Nov 28, 2012.

1. guillaume91188

guillaume91188

Hi everyone, first of all I'm sorry for my english who's not perfect.

I decided to buy pedals and I would know if these pedals are good or I should buy different one for the same effect.

- MXR envelope filter

- Dunlop Cry baby

- MXR octaver

- MXR carbon delay

- Soundblox 2 reverb

And I saw many bassists using a compressor but I don't know what this pedal do.

I saw the mxr 90 phase too, what do you think of this pedal ?

I have the BP200 now, I will sell it and I would like to have a sound similar but better of the preset Vibro.

Thanks for your help, it will be appreciate.
  2. bassteban

bassteban

All of those are good pedals but its always a personal preference thing- you may or may not like the tone of any and all. try to test before buying, your opinion is what matters most here. Look for Bongomania's compressor reviews, they are extremely helpful.

Edit: I like phaser on bass- it can be a subtle 'thickener' or very obvious weird thing, which are both alright in the right time and place
  3. guillaume91188

guillaume91188

Thank you bassteban for you answer, but I cannot try many of these pedals in my town.

I found the Bogomania's review, I will read this, thanks for the recommendation !
  4. Nomadskills

Nomadskills

If you're going to go with mass produced type of pedals, I really like MXR. Though I would urge you to look into the TC Flashback as it has a lot of delay options and a ok looper on it.
  5. Koldenblue

Koldenblue

I've tried the first 3 pedals, and the phase 90, and they're all very good pedals for their price range.

If you've got more money to spend, I'd go for one of the 3leaf envelope filters. But the mxr envelope filter is also excellent.

Be aware that the MXR octaver will have some tracking glitches if you try to play notes too long or too low. That said, it sounds pretty excellent, especially in the upper range. This youtube video should give a pretty good idea of it's tracking:
  6. guillaume91188

guillaume91188

Wow, the TC Flashback is exactly what i'm looking to replace my BP200 Vibro effect. Thanks for your recommendation Nomadskills.

Thanks for the good video Koldenblue and I will take a look for the 3leaf envelope filters.
  7. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Supporting Member

MXR has some great stuff, I own & use the Bass Octave Deluxe, Bass Envelope Filter, EVH Phase 90. I own a Carbon Copy, but I don't use delay very much with my bass rig, nor do I use a wah or reverb. I'm not a fan of compressors, but many players rely on them as a core part of their sound/rig. I also own a Flashback & it's a great pedal...

I think that moving into a setup of multiple analog pedals, you will appreciate the quality of tones and versatility over the BP200 - but that is only my opinion. Good luck!
  8. guillaume91188

guillaume91188

Yes I will appreciate that I'm sure, thanks for your opinions of these pedals!
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Wah pedal is something that needs more foot dexterity than I've got. Auto wah envelope filter all the way!

Are there any local production pedals in your country? I have a couple made in New Zealand that are really good. One is exported around the world and the other is vintage local clone from days of heavy import duty on music gear.

There are DIY kitset clones of some expensive pedals that you can build if you can solder.
  10. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Flashback is great. Chorus, delay, looper. Like a little multi-fx.
  11. guillaume91188

guillaume91188

Thanks all, I will probably buy the Flashback and the MXR envelope filter in first with your recommondations.

Is there anyone who has tried the Soundblox 2 Reverb ?
  12. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Looks great to me! The MXR envelope filter is really tasty. I got rid of mine only because I wanted the extra features of the Source Audio Pro unit. But what the MXR did--classic funk tones--it did extremely well.

I had my eye on that octaver, too. Excellent choice, I think.

I'm not into delays, so I have no opinion on that one.

I love Source Audio. I understand their reverb unit is superb and highly flexible. If I were a guitar player I'd own one. As a bass player...I don't quite understand reverb on bass. But to each his own! If you're gonna have one, probably not a bad choice.

No distortion of any kind?
  13. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

A compressor 'compresses' the dynamics of your playing. After an attack period of your initial note, it reduces the volume to make your overall volumes more consistent. For example, a 2:1 compressor at -20dB will turn notes played at 0dB and -10dB into -10dB and -15dB, so the difference between the two notes has shrunk from 10dB to 5dB.

Just a very short description, hope it helps. A quick search online should give you a much better idea and some examples.
  14. guillaume91188

guillaume91188

Thanks for the short and helpful description.

scottfeldstein : I will buy a distortion but not now. I need these kind of pedals first. So thank your for your opinion for the MXR. I'll go with this brand.