I now understand why GC gets a bad rap.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zeppfan90, Apr 10, 2014.

1. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

I bought an acoustic bass 2 weeks ago for late night practices at home. The reason I purchased it online, no local music stores had any on the cheaper side. I just want something to practice at night so I wasn't trying to get anything expensive. It said on the website at the time of purchase that it was in stock, sent an email saying it had shipped about 2 days later. Still no bass. So I sent an email earlier this morning asking when I could expect it. I get an email back saying it will not even get to their warehouse till May 10th?? What!?? I'm not mad. It wasn't an expensive bass and I'm a patient person. But really? You shouldn't do that. What horrible service.

If anyone is wondering. It's an Ibanez Grand Concert Acoustic-Electric.

2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I absolutely can't stand when a retailer lists an item for sale only to find out its backordered after purchasing it. I know most of the time these retailers aren't being intentionally deceptive and certain things I don't mind waiting for, but it still sucks. I'm on my 5th business day waiting for an item that apparently hasn't even shipped yet, even though it shows "shipping info received" for two days now. I'm trying to be patient but I was hoping to have them for a studio date Saturday afternoon. I really like the company I ordered from but wish they would list wether items were currently in stock or not. I almost wish they would go back to not having free shipping, as the items used to arrive in 2-3 days tops...well worth the extra $5 IMO. Now the wait time for items has literally doubled and the only way to expedite would cost another $25...and that's if its in stock:(

3. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

That sucks I used to have an ibanez grand concert acoustic guitar not bass but I loved it. Sometimes the reason things are so cheap online is due to the fact it takes so long to ship. At least they had the courtesy to reply many places don't tell you anything until five emails demanding a refund.

4. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Exactly! I know it's not any one individuals fault. But they should have someone on top of that sort of thing. I also purchased a distortion pedal for a old school metal cover band tryout for this Sunday and I hope I get it by Saturday since I paid for the extra shipping on the pedal.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

MXR Blowtorch distortion pedal to be exact =]

7. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

I hate Guitar Center because the 4 that I usually go to (Rockville MD, Glen Bernie MD, Towson MD, and Fredericksburg VA) never take care of the instruments. I've never picked a bass, guitar, acoustic, anything off that wall that had a decent set up. I'm talking neck warped so bad that the strings are a 1/2" or so off the fretboard at the 12th fret. That'd be like trying to sell a car with flat tires on it. I just don't understand how they even sell instruments. It should be a standard procedure to put a simple set up on every instrument.

8. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Ahhh big box retail mills.

9. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Moe, the guitar center I use to go to in Reno, NV was a really good store. I bought my Sterling there and have never had a problem with it. My problem with GC has always been online purchases. This Ibanez purchase being the worst one.

10. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

SweetWater is the way to go. Tax free too for many of us.

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

It's all software driven it sucks but it happens to just about every major retailer I had the same thing happen when I ordered a drill from Home Depot if I were you I would wait until Sweetwater has them in stock they will let you know right away and the customer service is over the top.

12. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Yeah I think I'm just going to chill and wait on it. But this is the last time I think I buy anything online from GC. I've never really read anything negative about Sweetwater so I think they will be my new friends!

13. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

It really comes down to poor inventory tracking. The guys working on the sales team are seeing pretty much the same info as you, and if it's in-stock for you, that's what they see as well. It's a software/discipline issue that's a result of poor practices between shipping, returns, shrink, and procurement. It doesn't necessarily imply a deceptive intention. If I were a small local shop that suddenly had a massive influx of requests for inventory, I'd probably run into this same issue only on a much larger scale with a higher portion of dissatisfied customers. That said, I still prefer to use local shops, direct purchase, and as a last resort, Sweetwater. Nothing against SW, but they're 3rd in line.

14. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Negative, I understand what you're saying. But my question for you, is that a Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass? lol

15. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

Sure is!!! I love mine. I've been very interested in getting a Japanese Aero 5 string but now with the American Dimension HH V, I'm very torn. The quality of the Japanese models are really really nice. All I did to mine was swap the pickups (personal preference), and I put in a bone nut sized for heavier gauge strings.

16. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

I've wanted one since I first seen a picture of it! I don't even have to play it first. I just know that one day it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine. I hear they're super light but still have a lot of power!

17. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Why wait, Sweetwater is great - just cancel the GC order. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=Ibanez Grand Concert

18. MoeGJBeener

I +1 the sweetwater praise! They've never let me down.

19. MoeGJBeener

Maybe it's MD's ever changing climate. Every time the seasons change, it seems like I have to adjust all of my guitars and basses because they go out of whack.

20. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Ever tried Chuck Levins in Wheaton? Closer to you than any of the GC's you mentioned . I've bought 3 guitars there and all were set up well and when I had a problem with one of them , it was taken care of immediately. Chuck's a crusty old fart but he runs a tight ship. Heck of a selection there too.

Goatrope likes this.
  21. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

sounds like they need better inventory control and quality assurance.

they can actually be fined for stuff like that now... thanks a lot Enron.