I often wondered why some basses change multiple hands...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanBass, Jan 13, 2014.

1. DanBass

DanBass Supporting Member

I guess the easy answer is taste, feel, that impulse buy that instantly feels unnecessary.. of course those are reasons folks sell...

I have just noticed here, as you can literally see the "life" stages of a bass, as we are a community.. bought, sold.. sell, bought, over and over.. sometimes I have noticed the same bass getting flipped around.. Always found it interesting and wondered why..

Possessed instrument? LOL
  2. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

I think you hit it with 'community'. With about 200,000 members, it is inevitable that basses are going to make the rounds. I play unlined fretless basses. They don't show up at stores, so TB is my main source for instruments.
  3. GK Growl

GK Growl

My take is this has more to do with materialism than instruments being bad or possessed or whatever. Most people totally get of on acquiring new things.
  4. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

I like to try out different basses. I would rather buy/sell from/to a TB'er than to do so at Guitar Center or Sam Ash.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DanBass

Amen to that. Every time, a stellar experience.

Can't say that about anywhere else I've acquired a bass.
  7. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

I go to the GC in Langhorne periodically. They have some nice stuff, but the way the kids there beat the crap out off the basses makes me cringe.
  8. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

After 6 or 7 basses, you can start to part with the extras that don't form an attachment to you.
  9. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

I have sold a lot of 'keeper basses' on here...basses I would be happy playing forever. Why? I gig 4-6 nights a week. While it is really fun being a full time working musician, it is also routine. 2 things that really spice things up for me are introducing new songs into the bands repertoire, and having a new bass to play on for a while. I love the anticipation of gigging with and getting to know a new bass.
  10. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    Interesting question. Some basses seem to be cursed...I know of one here that always ends up leaving the previous owner after an accident or loss that requires the funds of said bass.

AS for me.

I am in the boat of trading around to try hard to find instruments in better condition that what is at a store for usually less the cost.
  11. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

12. spufman

spufman Supporting Member

I owned a beautiful old Sterling that got around a bit on TB. I think the first owner had it about 15 years, then sold it. After that as I recall it went through three or four more hands in a couple years before ending up with me. I was able to trace its provenance on TB, which was cool. I bought (actually traded for) it because it was a real beauty of a Sterling with all the earliest features, plus the maple board would be a good complement to the rosewood board on my primary Sterling. Looked, played and sounded awesome. I had it a couple years but sold it because (a) I still preferred playing my primary Sterling, (b) it was so pretty it would be an easier sell for more money than my primary Sterling and (c) there was a cool Zon Sonus 8 available that I just *had* to have!
  13. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I have bought several basses on TB. They certainly weren't necessary purchases, so you could count me in the materialism category. The draw for me was finding unusual basses, basses I had never seen before, or seen but never heard -- at hard-to-pass-up prices. I have since passed one on to a friend, but still have most in my collection.
  14. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I have bought and sold more than a few basses that made the rounds on TB and all were amazing basses.

My reason is that I really have no way to try out brands like Benavente, Dingwall, Roscoe, Modulus, Sadowsky, Pedulla, Lakland and even SX and RIC near me. Only way I could try them was to buy them used on TB. If they weren't 100% perfect for me, they went back in the Classifieds. This happens a lot around here IME.
  15. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

I'm on my 5th bass so far. It mainly comes down to not being able to afford more than 1 at a time, and wanting to try out as many different ones as possible. My last one started bugging out on me in the electronics department, so I decided it was time to go passive again after owning 2 actives.
  16. pudgychef

pudgychef

+1
  17. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

It's inevitable that if you buy a bass without having tried it first chances are good it won't be "the right fit" for you. I own one bass that had several owners before me (at least two of them TB members) and it is probably my favourite bass.
  18. DanBass

Yikes! That's fairly frightening.. Let's hope I never secure the services of that bass. I have enough on my plate. :D
  19. camardelle

camardelle Supporting Member

I had my first bass lesson around the end of February two years ago. Since that time I have purchased 4 basses new from GC. The rest of the 24 or so I have owned (if even for a short time) purchased here. It didn't take me long to figure out that there is a market here for bass guitars, and all the "stuff" that goes with them including strings and straps and tuners and other..uh stuff.

One great thing about buying a bass here is that just like with a used car, someone else takes the hit on depreciation before the second or third owner does. For a guy starting out like me, the best part is the playability of the basses I buy here. Most everyone here is a gigging musician, so I feel pretty confident that what I buy will be very playable for me, much more so than the few used ones I've gotten over the last two years.

I don't mind paying a $50 or so fee/loss on the sale of a bass I've purchased when I sell it. Education costs. I'd hate to think about what I'd do if I bought a USA Fender and hated it. Trying to recoup that would be a nightmare for me.

And don't even get me started about buying something on Craigslist. Gawd I hate selling there, much less buying. Tons of flakes, serial rapists and likely a couple of killers. LOL

I only put up with CL to avoid shipping costs which is where I really get killed with this lifestyle of trying stuff out.

I like dealing with TB and appreciate the deals I get there.
  20. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

+1 to this. This is a great community of fellow bassists.
  21. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

Money...I've sold several basses...in most cases because I needed the cash.