I played Billy Sheehan's guitar

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fabubass, Apr 5, 2014.

1. fabubass

fabubass

I met Billy the other night at a music store in Coconut Creek Fla. called Guitar Hero HQ. He was conducting a clinic there. I asked him a question about his action. He said, "come on up and check it out". I did, and it was perfect!! For all his fame and acclaim, he seemed like a real normal down to earth guy

Attached Files:

2. Dougie1316

Dougie1316

Nice guy and a sweet player, he seems really down to earth in his interviews. He's a Scientologist isn't he?

3. BassEnvy78

BassEnvy78

I live in Miami and couldnt make it to the clinic. How was it?

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

So how was the action?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Haji

Haji

YEARS ago (I'm thinking more than 15) he did a clinic at the Guitar Center in San Diego, at the original location. Somebody asked that same question, and he answered it the same way. When ya think about it, how else are ya gonna answer that question so that somebody can get a point of reference and understand it? He has some vids of how he sets up his basses on Youtube that kind of show why he answers the question the way he does.

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1

8. fabubass

fabubass

Action was perfect, nice and low, no fret buzz. He says he gets it as low as he can until it starts buzzing then backs it off a little. He said, "set up is everything." It is.

9. lyes4string

lyes4string Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist of Warwick Basses
    from my experience most bassists that are considered greats are very down to earth and humble beings....i think its in the bass player way so to speak. we love spreading knowledge and love in the bass player community.

10. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

I met him years ago at a clinic in Bellevue. He had just left DLR after the 1st tour. I had been listening to him before with Talas and couldn't believe what a nice humble guy he was. I talked to him for about 10 minutes. He wouldn't even say a bad word about DLR even though he said things did not end well. You could tell he wanted to, but didn't. He picked up an off the shelf Yamaha, played though a 10" Peavey practice amp, and still had "his" tone. I'm glad to hear he's still like that.

11. Haji

Haji

That's true of the real greats in any field. I've met some of the best pro shooters there are, legends in Special Operations (the company I work for deals with that community), and some top pro musicians. The vast majority of them are like that. They know what they can do and don't need to prove it. Its the guys at the regional level who have some notoriety that are the pain in the ass.

Billy's in stores are always cool. I may not always be able to apply what I pick up, but there's good stuff to be learned.

12. TinIndian

TinIndian

He was at Bass Central on the 6th. Really wanted to go but had couldn't make it happen.

13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I've met him before as well and he was a super nice guy. In fact, I've met a decent amount of "famous" bassists and they were all really nice and humble.

14. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Well, regardless if we care about his action, now we know what question to ask if we want to hold his bass!

15. BassEnvy78

BassEnvy78

I wish i could have made it to the clinic...still trying to figure out his tune "the suspense is killing me"

16. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

I had a chance at buying an Attitude II with no swirl marks or nothing, for $650. Except for the plastic like finish, which as perfectly applied, it was the best P bass I'd had my hands on. It balance so well on the knee almost as if it defined gravity. Probably won't find a deal like that again...

17. Tupac

Tupac

"defined" I hope that was spellcheck and not a tragic use of an idiom :bag: