1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I really just need some knowledge about Bass Cabinets and stuff.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by efloeck, Jan 6, 2014.

1. efloeck

efloeck

I have recently ordered a Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W 1x15 Bass Combo Amp ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-tour-tko-115-400w-1x15-bass-combo-amp ) from Musician's Friend, and I'm afraid that it's just not loud enough like I thought it would be damnit. I was thinking of adding a bass cabinet to it, like a speaker or something, to increase the volume, but I just don't know anything about that kind of stuff because I've only ever owned combo amps. I was just wondering if I could hook up some sort of speaker to the Peavey combo amp, and if so, what kind of speaker, how many watts should it have, etc. If someone could please answer my hapless cry for help, I would really appreciate it, because to be honest I just don't want to feel like I've made a terribly bad mistake for purchasing this amp.
  2. christianharger

christianharger Supporting Member

Just return it -- Musician's Friend is pretty good with returns.
  3. hsech

hsech I may be old, but I still have an opinion. Gold Supporting Member

Return it if you don't like it. Do your internet homework and research before buying another amp. BTW that amp is plenty loud enough unless you are playing with a guitar player that has a Marshall Full Stack running at high volume. I often gig with 300 watts or less.
  4. christianharger

christianharger Supporting Member

I agree that the amp should be loud enough for most things. But seriously man, if you don't like it, send it back and get a different one. Don't keep something you don't like because it's a bit of a hassle to send it back. It's worth it.
  5. efloeck

efloeck

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It'll certainly help. You get a pretty significant volume boost from getting more wattage + a second cab.
  7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Also taller stack is easier to hear because closer to ears. So try putting your combo on top of stuff, it might help, but another cab being the thing it is on top of is going to do that and more.
  8. nick98338

nick98338

Technically, the extension cab (8 ohm) should work ok with the combo amp (8 ohm internal speaker). That would be a combined impedance of 4 ohms. The amp in the combo can handle 4 ohms. However, I have no idea how they will sound together. Certainly louder than one speaker, alone.
  9. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

I'm with the "return it" crowd. Musicians Friend has a generous return policy, so you really didn't screw up; you got to demo it at home and now you know it doesn't provide what you wanted.

Try to demo some cabs before you buy again, or go with another selection that seems promising and rinse and repeat until you're happy with your purchase. Adding an extension to a cab you like is much more fun than tacking an extension to one you're not to too thrilled about.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Since they're the same cab, they should sound like the one but smoother and louder.
  11. efloeck

efloeck

Okay, to get one thing clear, I LOVE the tonal ability of that amp. There are literally so many options for tone and I finally have that punchy slap tone I've always wanted. I was only concerned about the volume of the amp. So, if an extension cab could make the amp louder, then it would be a dream come true.
  12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

More speakers will make it louder.
  13. klokker

klokker

I agree here. That combo should be loud enough. And I've thrashed Peavey stuff to death and it worked great. The only thing I wouldn't like about that combo is the wieght.

But if it isn't your thing, take it back.
  14. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Then just pick up the matching Tour 115 extension cabinet and you're all set. That'll keep the tone you like, just make it very noticably bigger/louder.

If that's still not enough, it ain't the gears fault. :)

Also note things will sound different gigging in a bar or wherever than it does at home. 400 watts with 2 15's will get you run out of some places if you turn it up too much. It will be nice to use the combo for rehearsals and small gigs, then add the other cab to turn it into a stack for bigger places and outdoors.
  15. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Looks like you have your answer then. Get another 15" cab. Or if you want to start a civil war here, ask people what they think about 4x10s combined with them.
  16. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

Get a rope!!! :spit:
  17. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

It should be loud as hell on its own. If it isn't then get the matching extension 15in peavey cab.