1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I think Fender is seriously crazy!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by casotti1, Dec 11, 2013.

1. casotti1

casotti1 Supporting Member

I just browsed Ebay and saw the Fender "Classic Series 60s Jazz Bass." Ok I am not a bass snob but these things are going for $799-899!!!Really?? Made in Mexico, not that it matters but how can they possibly sell these whatsoever when you can get an EX condition USA Jazz/Pbass, Stingray amongst others, for less? C'mon Fender!!
    :spit:
  2. dalkowski

dalkowski

Your issue isn't with Fender.
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I don't get it either. The MIM basses seem to be way over priced considering you can get a used MIA for a couple of hundred dollars more. I have a tough time dealing with today's prices. It's not that I can't afford them. It's the fact that I remember buying MIA Fenders for $200 to $300 in the late 70s and early 80s. Having said that, I do own several MIA Fenders including an 82 Precision and 2011 Jazz.
  4. narud

narud Supporting Member

i currently own a mim 60's classic thats a better playing/sounding bass than a mia 62 ri i just recently sold here on tb.
  5. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy Supporting Member

What I think is crazy about Fender is now costs $4000 and takes a "Masterbuilder" to replicate what was originally put together by unskilled Mexican girls in the 1950's.

That's crazy!
  6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I would reserve judgement until after you actually try one. The Classic series are an easy 10 notches above the MIM standards. If you want to whine about overpriced imports, Lakland, Spector and G&L all are American companies who charge over $700 for their import lines. Homework.
  7. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

+1

I sold a $2000 58 NAV because my MIM 50's pretty much blew it away aside from finish.
  8. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

I don't believe I'm saying this, but their mim quality is starting to get a lot better over the past few years. Squire too. Which is a good thing for the industry as a whole. I think ESP , epiphone , and a few others are making them take notice of their QC issues. Good for them! Better basses for everyone.
  9. casotti1

I get it..To address the responses, I think the MIM Fenders are very good. I will also clarify that the Squire Series basses sound great too! To Petrus61, there is no whining going on here I am just baffled that you can pickup a Squire CV for$250-300, yet the classic series Jazz bass is 500 more, which really doesn't make sense when all the points on the post are that less costly instruments sometimes are just better sounding and playing instruments. I have done PLENTY of homework in 30 years of playing and have played everything you can imagine...and wasted tons of money lol.
  10. Rodslinger

Rodslinger Supporting Member

You Sir Are Correct. I've owned both the 60 & 70 MIM reissues & they are sweeeeeeeeeeeet! The necks were so awesome on both basses, 60s was a bit better with super low action. Compared to my MIM standard they are well above in quality but I would still buy a used USA before I bought one of the others brand new.
  11. casotti1

I play an XL2 not because of the nostalgia or anything, but it just fits my style and works very well. I went into GC last week and played an Ibanez Sr500 and 700 and was blown away, yet my XL2 costs 3 times as much..
  12. CoarseBass

CoarseBass

How do people get far enough in life to play an instrument and not understand who sets the prices on ebay?
  13. narud

narud Supporting Member

if you want a classic sounding jazz, a good classic 60's (ive had some with bad necks) will be more legit than an american standard. the graphite rods change the tone.
  14. wvbass

wvbass

Sounds about right to me. A used premier-line item costing just a little more than a b-line version. Seems like they have their prices figured out.
  15. activebass

activebass

THIS!!!

But Fender is not the source of the problem, the problem is consumers who will pay that $#!+. When you think about the materials and crafting that goes into these instruments, how can anybody pay anywhere close to $4000 and $5k for a Pbass?!

The consumers who pay these rediculous prices are the problem.
  16. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

That's because for the vast majority of the time, it just isn't true - it's more a fantasy born of those who can't/won't spend more money to obtain a higher quality instrument... So, they attempt to convince *themselves* that their cheaper basses are "as good or better" than their more expensive counterparts, with that tired old line of BS...

The truth is, spending more money will nearly always get you a better instrument - although the law of diminishing returns comes into play, as the *gains per dollar* will generally get smaller as you go up the ladder... I say, buy the best instrument you can comfortably afford, then enjoy it - and don't worry about it any more...

Best of luck in your search,

- georgestrings
  17. megafiddle

megafiddle

Aren't those polished lacquer?

That finish alone typically adds about $400 to the price.

-
  18. msact

msact Supporting Member

I had a classic 60's and never got used to the neck. Rounded fretboards and me don't get along. I sold it and bought a used MIA and am very happy. It's all a matter of taste.
  19. steveinohio

steveinohio Supporting Member

Prices have gone up across the board. Stinks.
  20. msact

msact Supporting Member

Last year at this time Fender had some nice markdowns. No such luck this year.