1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I think i am being scammed.What do i do?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help Desk' started by notejung, Feb 26, 2014.

1. notejung

notejung Supporting Member

I think I am being scammed by one of the sellers here. I really need help from u guys.

On 12/12/2013,
    I bought Fender Am dlx 5 string bass from User : "austentaciousC" (Mr.Alex Womack http://www.talkbass.com/forum/member.php?u=166174 )
    but up until now I still have not got the bass.

This was an url :http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/2-2013-fender-amer-deluxe-jass-vs-1037334/ but the thread has already been deleted by the seller.

https://www.facebook.com/alex.womack

This Seller gave me a tracking number 9114901123086448466894 but USPS System has been showing status "Dispatched to Sort Facility" and never updated.
    I have been trying to talk to Mr. "austentaciousC" (Alex Womack) and it’s been more than 2 months now since I paid him money.

On January 29th, he told me that the best way that he could do was to file a claim with USPS and he gave me the claim number which was CA116380154 And told me to be patient.

On February 2nd he sent me an email telling me that USPS officer called and told him that item was being scanned in Washington and then driven to California and he could not possibly predict or estimate the arrival date.

On February 17 – 22, I sent him email saying that I’ve waited for more than a couple months already and it’s already been too long without any update or anything.
    I’ve requested him for the refund but it seemed to fail.
    I’ve asked him for at least the evidence guaranteeing that the bass is actually being shipped or his contact number in order for me to give him a call but he gave me none of them.
    Here’s what he said about the refund (and he just didn’t mention anything about his contact number or the evidence AT ALL).
    "Even if I had the money to refund you, there's no way for me to know that you would give me the money back when you receive the bass. The only way that can happen is if the package is lost permanently, then I can claim a refund from USPS. The only safe option is to wait. If I give you a refund then you can receive the bass and keep the money too. I can't get the bass back as I left the shipping address months ago. I'll keep on bothering USPS about it, it will have to show up eventually."

So I replied him that
    “No.. I am not going to wait any longer since u haven't provided me any evidence that u really have sent the bass.Or even ur phone number. How can i be sure that u are not lying? The only option is either u refunding me or provide me the evidence like real one that guarantees that the bass got shipped not just a freaking claim number and tracking number. This is too strange of u and i dont wanna deal with it anymore. What u think is never going to happen. I'm honest enough and i do keep my words and promise. I'm definitely not going to keep them both."

He answered,
    "Either way this goes I won't be able to address it until I'm back off travel. There isn't another option but to be patient."

So I said,
    "i've been patient for a couple months now and i am so done. no more waiting. if u are afraid that i wont return u the money if the bass happens to be arrived, i will post a thread on talkbass webboard and let the public witness it. i'm definitely not going to trade my positive reputation and image with this. i have to do business in this website for a long time"
    And he hasn’t replied since then. I’ve ever told him that if the bass happens to be arrived, I would definitely return him the money and that I mean it. I’m an honest business dealer and I do keep my words.

I would like to know what should I do? Am I being scammed or not? Do u think this is too strange? Please leave me some suggestions. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you so much.
  2. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

Maybe this is better handled with the TB mods. The seller seems to have quite a few (+) deals, so it does not look like he's in the business of scamming.
    Are you in Thailand? How long does shipping from the states usually take?
  3. Laidback

Laidback

You been scammed for sure.
  4. basss

basss Supporting Member

It looks like it's with USPS so I don't think it's the sellers fault - I don't think he scammed you - although maybe he should be trying to find out what's going on with the packackage. If you are in Tailand it may be a customs thing?
  5. notejung

I use my USA address in California for shipping address.
  6. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

You can verify the info he gave you on USPS.com including the insurance claim. If you paid via Paypal, you have his mailing info....you can also ask Paypal for help.
  7. basss

basss Supporting Member

I don't think you should post his email address.
  8. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

How did you pay for this, Paypal? You could file a claim through them if so.
  9. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

I remember speaking with that particular seller a few times.
    He seemed to be on the up and up at least when I spoke with him. I believe he is military personell and is stationed in Alaska (I think), which may make it harder to deal with CONUS shipping, I am not sure...

Still, 2 months is patient, yes, and there's a way of saying things that can inspire confidence and trustworthiness.

Sorry it's not working out. Try the seller again, and if not, go to USPS. It's past the 45 day period, so Paypal is no help.

Did you specify the item to be insured? Did he insure the delivery? Did he send it first class mail? If he sent it Parcel Post 3rd class then you are out of luck unless he insured it. If you requested insurance and he neglected to provide it then it's the seller's fault. Can't comment without further deets...

Maybe TB mods can help?
  10. gregwatts2008

USPS.com shows that it was mailed from Alaska on Dec 18.........mail in Alaska does not move every day and with harsh winters can be extremely slow
  11. notejung

That is my unlucky,Greg

For This deal,I paid by Bank Wire Transfer because seller did not accept paypal.So I cannot open case for refund from paypal.

And I try to contact with USPS but officer told me that I have to tell seller check his item at local post office that he shipped it.
  12. Bottoms_Up!

Bottoms_Up! For the record, I don't love Raymond. Gold Supporting Member

I think the TB mods like to stay out of these things, hence the insistence on banning fee-free transactions. Anyway, judging from the seller's feedback, it looks like he ships Pony Express. Try the Ft Wainright, AK USPS facility. They might have some answers for you.
  13. gregwatts2008

Check with you receiving agent in Cal. Maybe it slipped thru the cracks...but looks like the item was mailed
  14. notejung

At my shipping address in Cal told me that this item still not arrive.They asked postman and they told me that have to contact seller for check item at local post office that he shipped it only.

Anyone have contact of Ft Wainright, AK USPS facility or not ?
  15. Mojo8ass

Mojo8ass Supporting Member

You have every right to ask for help or advice with your situation. However, I don't think it's right to post someone's name or email address on one of these forms without their permission.
    I know for a fact that this isn't the first time notejung has posted someone else's name or info.

I hope this situation gets resolved sooner than later.
  16. bassman28

bassman28 Supporting Member

17. b-bottom

b-bottom Supporting Member

Sounds like a USPS issue.

I went back and forth with them over an amp a bunch of years ago. It took me raising a huge stink before I got my money back. And it's why I'll never ever ship anything expensive through them.
  18. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Well, if nothing else you can speak with a Lawyer. Mail Fraud is a Federal Offense, and it sounds like you have the evidence needed to at least have the charges investigated.

As you can see by the last Feedback he has, I have had less than satisfactory dealings with this user. Hopefully there is an explaination that results in a Happy Ending. I'll start holding my breath.... Now!
  19. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

I have dealt with him a couple times and everything was all good, but like someone else said he is active Military and lives in Alaska so the weather may be causing problems. Seriously, it took almost a month for me to get a bass from Atlanta just a few weeks ago because of weather problems.
  20. lsu921

lsu921 Supporting Member

He has a history of doing this.. Sending items Parcel Post for $20, and not caring if/when it arrives. At some point TB should ban him.