I think I am done

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by iriegnome, Nov 4, 2012.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    I am 47. Been playing nonstop for 32 years. Sometimes 6 days a week. My current band has been splintering apart for some time now. I think it is almost time to retire. At this point, I am feeling, if I am done, I am completely done. I must be in just a funk or something. Just no feeling for it, I think

2. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Take some time off and see how you feel.

3. bolophonic

bolophonic

Don't sell your rig.

4. Spino

Spino

Are you ever "done " with Music ? ...I think not!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Take a break whatever you do please don't sell anything

7. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Ive been feeling that way too.....
    But I recently placed an ad to find other players.

It's the only way I'll stay in it....

8. squeally dan

squeally dan Supporting Member

Take a break, take a lesson, pick up a different instrument, or all of the above. Maybe try double bass if that isn't something you already do.

9. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

I'm 56. Been playing bass for 40 years. I go through cycles. It's like waves. I agree with the other posters......take a reprieve......maybe a month......maybe a year......but chances are, since music is in your blood, another wave of interest will come in eventually.

10. brokencode

brokencode Supporting Member

How about giving lessons with that 35 years of experience?

11. alexgeddy

alexgeddy Supporting Member

Hi,,,

I had a bad breakup with a band a year ago... Played with some other people till last March and quit..Put myself into retirement and didn't play for 6 months... By chance I went to craigs list and an ad was just posted and called it and it turned out to be a great bunch of musicians.. So I am back playing and it feels better than before..

Hang in there and like other people said don't sell anything...

Good luck to you !

Bill
    PS I will be 56 in dec so I kinda know what you are going through

12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    You should take some time off. I guarantee you will miss playing. I felt that way a few years ago and decided to take break from gigging and focused on recording. At 52 years old, I am back playing in a band and will be gigging in the Spring.

13. burnunit

burnunit obsolete Supporting Member

Sometimes a field must lay fallow before it can regain fertility, so do what you feel you need to. I've done this and I came back refreshed, but with a different approach.

+1 on the "don't sell your gear" comments.

14. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

This.

Never be without something to play.

15. bolophonic

bolophonic

I would also suggest that if you take a break from the bass, consider trying out another instrument for a while. It will keep your mind and hands limbered up and may even give you a new perspective on music you love.

16. B String

B String Supporting Member

I don't mean to be argumentative but I believe teaching is a very important thing. Just because you've been playing for 35 years doesn't mean you know music or play bass correctly.
    Perhaps the OP could take some time to expand his playing and musical skills so he could widen his music and work possibilities. Playing new, different music could renew the OP's love of being a bassist.

17. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Already been said. Take a break and revisit the issue when the clouds have parted and the crap you are dealing with now is gone. Fresh eyes see things much differently. And keep at least a couple basses and one good rig. You just never know......

Oh yeah. And while you have some weekends off go fishing (or hiking, or hunting, or whatever you haven't had time to do). A bad day on the water is better than a good day at the office.

18. Tupac

Tupac

They're right, don't sell your gear, just give it to me :)

19. bluewine

bluewine Banned

I don't think you can retire from playing bass.

Blue

20. pauldebass

pauldebass

all the above I'd agree, especially don't sell your stuff and take a break. That said, I do know some folks that in their mid 40s stopped making a living playing and played part time. I'm not one of them, some of them seem happy at least by there own accounts. Some have regretted it, I see it in their eyes when they come up to me and tell me they use to play full-time. How old is too old? Some genres are more kind than others for the more seasoned player. I'm still touring and I'm old..lol. need a lot more naps..It is certainly worth taking the time to talk it out with some musicians and friends who know you well. They might have some valued feedback regarding your decision. I don't know ya but I'm wishing you the best in finding happiness and peace in your heart.

21. klejst

klejst

At 26 years old I considered packing it in a couple times over the years as well and also thought about going back and playing guitar which I started on. I have been a break of going on five months now from non-stop gigging and playing since my band broke up. I have been enjoying the freedom of time to put into other things in life, however I still have my bass and cabinet. I did sell my amp, kind of had to at the time.

I am still throwing the idea around of joining another band or just do the hobbyist musician thing here and there. I do like the comfort of knowing I can go back to it at anytime if I choose to. I am just in a funk to get myself into the mood to join something again, but we'll see that could change over the next weeks, months, years.