1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I think I broke my brain

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Vcell, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Vcell

Vcell

Albums:
    So, in another online bass community I accepted a Motown challenge to learn a Motown bass line + analyze the use of chord tones and chromatics etc.

So, like the dumb ass I am I go for For Once In My Life because, honestly, it made me wanna dance. What else can I say.

Ouch! Now my brain hurts. As is typical with Jamerson grooves, the bass is non-stop and rarely repeats anything I would call a pattern :spit:

I worked out the progression on piano and guitar first. I think it's F, F+, F6, F7, Gm, D+, Gm D+ etc. And that's just four measures! Then there's the bass that is constantly moving and using chromatics.

(Insert exasperated sigh here) When I'm all done I'll post a video. But it may be towards the end of the month.

2. Tagruvto

Tagruvto

I just saw the Motown challenge over at SBL - good for you for really
    challenging yourself! I'll bet this will really pay off in the long run.

3. Vcell

Vcell

Albums:
    Wheh! I hope so. Sure is a lot of work. But its been very rewarding so far.

4. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

man thats a great exercise, and a real asskicker of a bassline.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thunderstation

thunderstation

you should get the James jamerson book. It has cd's in it with all of his basslines. the cool thing is the left channel just has the bass pattern and the right has all the other instruments. so you can play along and learn how the parts fit.

7. redstrand

redstrand

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    Popped the song on, now my brain hurts trying to pick the parts out...good luck!
    *Which book?

8. Flabass

Flabass

"Standing in the Shadows of Motown."

9. redstrand

redstrand

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    And here I only have the DVD...going to Amazon now...

10. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    IMHO Motown (or else) will look harder when analyzed, written etc than just play it.
    But actually the hardest part (or even impossible to copy) is 'the feel'..'the soulfulness' of it

11. redstrand

redstrand

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    Dissecting why the Stax stuff sounds like made me a much better listener. Motown will do the same.

12. Vcell

Vcell

Albums:
    I saw that book online a couple of days ago. I think I will pick it up after all.

Yeah. I got some it worked out (verse 1). But honestly, it sounds a LOT more like me than like Jamerson, at least so far. We'll see.

13. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    All your effort will pay. You'll surely be a much better musician (and bass player) after that.

14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 congrats that is cool and to be honest I don't think that song was played the same way ever :)