I think I want to go back to a combo!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Stinsok, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I recently rounded out my setup with a Mesa Powerhouse 4x10. I like the tone, etc., but for the first time in my life weight and size are coming into play! After the last gig (and 12 hour work day)I was beat and barely got it in the back of my pickup.
  2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Don't do it. Do what I did: I "traded" my 4x10 for two 2x10s. MUCH easier to schlep, and gives me flex for smaller gigs.
  3. Joedog

Joedog

Everyone has a (their) opinion. If weight and size are a big factor, you might try a GK MB212? I've run both separates (including full stacks) and combos over 4 plus decades. Been happy w/both. Bad back now says "go light"!
  4. Alexander

Alexander

I'm gonna buck the TB trend by saying "suck it up" and carry what sounds good to you (unless you simply have physical limitations that prevent this). I carry a 65lb tube head and 110lb 412 cab to my gigs. The energy I get playing through my tube rig gives me the additional juice I need at the end of the night to load it up. There are five people in the band so I inevitably have help if I need it. I've tried a number of smaller\lighter setups and none of them get me close to the thrill of my big rig. Many can make the smaller stuff work and that's fine. I have to laugh sometimes at all the churn on TB about downsizing to 4lb heads, cause their 15lb heads are too heavy.

Going from a Powerhouse 410 down to a combo will be a BIG step backward IMHO

PS - I've broken my neck and back in three places. I'm 42 years old and work 60-70 hours per week. Some people have physical limitations and I get that, but seriously, people. Eat more protein or something... :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rodl2005

rodl2005

They are awkward to load those heavy 410 cabs. A good neo loaded 410 helps. I use a NV412 & it's extra height helps as ya don't necessarily have to lift. Rather tilt n slide.
    I use the same 65lbs tube amp as Alexander above -The Fender Super Bassman 300 - and it is a killer amp. Worth 2x it's weight. Just. 😆
  7. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I like Rod's suggestion, get something bigger!

:bag:
  8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Must be a chiropractor!
  9. DogBone

DogBone

They are loud for their size, but 410 cabs are my least favorite configuration for just that reason, they are no fun to transport.

Anyway, I've given up on head/cabs myself.

I'm down to two combos, an Ampeg BA210 with balanced DI for the big shows, and a little BA112 for everything else.

My band has a decent PA, and most of our regular venues have excellent house systems, plus my drummer is all electric now. Heck, if I thought I could get away with no amp I'd just get a REDDI or Sansamp and call it good...maybe someday soon :)
  10. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

If I were you I'd get a quality 1x12 cab, or maybe a pair of them. Then you have the flexibility of bringing just one if that's all you need.
  11. Alexander

Alexander

I agree - I find a 412 or 610 or even 810 as easy to transport as a 410 (or 212). Two 112s is just not the same. And I did an A/B with my Mesa Walkabout. The Mesa Powerhouse 410 against the Scout combo. Not even close.
  12. voodoobassist

voodoobassist

I've been considering the same thing. Selling my Bag Ends and GB 12.0 and going combo. The more I think about it though, the more I'm inclined to find a pair of neo 212's or something similar and maybe something like the GK fusion 800. Only thing that's holding me back is cost. It's hard to justify when I'm only playing out 2 -3 times a month now. An MB212 combo would probably serve me just fine for about any bar gig. I have a feeling that I'd be missing the "feel" of a bigger rig though. Old habits die hard, especially for old bassists! ;)
  13. raventepes

raventepes

Get yourself one of the new Ashdown Rootmaster combos, or if you have the right PA set up, plug in via pre-amp directly. Or you could also mike a small 100-something watt single driver combo.

Of course, another course of action is taking the advice of a couple of people on here and going with a GK set up, either the MB210 or mb 212 combos or get a GK MB500 Fusion with a Neo 212 cab. At less than 60 lbs for the whole half-stack WITH a tube driven pre-amp, you can't go wrong!
  14. Alexander

Alexander

I found the old adage true - IMHO, there is no replacement for displacement. I'd take more cone area over wattage any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
  15. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

There's always the balance between carrying something heavy and awkward once, or two lighter things twice. I'm totally in the latter camp. Besides, there will be gigs where 2 10s are plenty.
  16. Winfred

Winfred

Yessss. Come over to the new dark side. 2x10 combo with a 2x10 extension cab (but only when absolutely necessary).

Your back will thank you, one day...
  17. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Media:
    I'm pretty much over heavy @$$ 410 cabs. I've still got a 96lb Mesa Powerhouse 410 in my garage that I will be ecstatic to get rid of after I get a couple of new drivers for it. I've got a GK NEO 212, which is a more than capable replacement by itself, but I run it with a GK NEO 112 if I need some extra kick! The GK cabs, together, weigh less than the Mesa 410. They sound better AND my wife can carry them...:D. I've also got an LDS 212/6 which is lighter and sounds great. Not saying you need to switch to GK or LDS, just saying that I've been where you are, and the lightweight NEO cabs from almost any manufacturer would be worth consideration.

I vote for getting rid of the 410 and getting 2x210s...
  18. Alexander

Alexander

Y'all need to eat more Wheaties!

:ducking:
  19. armybass

armybass Roscoe Bass Lover Gold Supporting Member

Just go ahead and get your OMA (old man amp) like the rest of us and leave the back breaking 410s and combos to the youngsters... ;)
    [​IMG]
  20. catgut

catgut

+1.
    I am firmly bucking this trend. I have found modular the best way to go. I just put casters on everything. The amount of lift is really minimal. I cab up or down to the gig size. Use angles. Sounds like 2x 210's could work out well. 410's are the worst due to the short square box and densely packed drivers.
  21. catgut

catgut

You're awesome army. OMA. :D