1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I think I'm going to Plasti Dip a bass....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by two fingers, Jul 26, 2013.

1. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Supporting Member

So, I have this bass that I payed literally $40 for. It is an old Profile Silhouette P bass copy.

(As the story goes, a guy who owned some stores in Australia had some Strats, Teles and P basses made by a pretty good manufacturer in Japan.)

Anyway.... This one looks like it has been drug behind a truck for a day or two. The body is beat pretty bad in places. It is just an old ply body so not worth doing a ton of repair to. The bass has been apart for over two years now. I just happened to come across it in my bonus room closet today. And it hit me! I'm going to spray it with Plasti Dip tool dip. I think I will just fill in the bad holes, sand it just a little to give the stuff a rough surface to latch onto, and let it eat! They make this stuff in colors as well as black, white, and grey. I will just go into Lowe's and whatever color grabs at me I'm walking out with it.

"Stop freaking RAMBLING again TF!" OK, fine.

Have any of you done this? If so, any pics? Results? Questions and comments? Wanna talk me out of it? Whatayathink?

2. hover

hover Banned

I say do it. Then again, I know nothing about it, and am a curious cat.

3. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay

The thought crossed my mind once as a way to cover a very ugly body much like as you describe.
    I decided on not doing it because plastic dip is more like "rubber dip" and a grippy rubbery surface on a body sounded horrible to me.

4. two fingers

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

7. two fingers

That crossed my mind. But I am a very physical player, so my thumb is usually anchored pretty hard on a pickup. It doesn't allow my arm to slide up and down much. But I'm going in understanding that it might feel "sticky".

8. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay

Also I've never tried it but the stuff they use for bed liner on trucks and for speaker cabs would probably be cool.
    For some reason the name escapes me at the moment.

9. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I looked at your link. We obviously had two different products in mind.

10. two fingers

I have a speaker cab done with Duratex (AWESOME product by the way). I think that stuff might be too thick and add a lot of weight. But I'll keep it in mind as a plan B because I have quite a bit left.

11. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
  12. two fingers

So what's your gut feeling on the spray? (There's no wrong answer. I'm just spitballing here.)

13. two fingers

1. More expensive.
    2. Thicker.
    3. Rougher?
    4. I don't think anyone would spray just a bass with it and I was thinking of just doing this myself.

14. Major Softie

Major Softie

Covering the body with a vibration damping product sounds like a horrible idea.

I say: DO IT!

15. bassteban

bassteban

Line-X is very rough, maybe not great for a bass, but who knows.. I saw a car the other day ENTIRELY COVERED(except windows)IN THE STUFF. Looked like a late-60's Cutlass :meh:/:cool:

16. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    mythbusters loves the stuff so it has got to be good! jeesh, Kari Byron could get me to buy anything!

17. 45acp

45acp

Do it!!!

If you don't like it, peel it off and try something else.

Anyone thinking of the truck bedliner method- do NOT use herculiner. I love that stuff on speaker cabs but it is very rough. If any part of your arm touches the body when you play it will not have any skin on it after a few songs.

18. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

DO IT, DO IT!!!!!!

19. Splods

Splods

Media:
    Some pics of it currently would be cool.

20. aproud1

aproud1 I don't feel tardy? Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Go for it, I've considered putting that stuff on many things but not a bass. If the body is pretty much scrap at this point you don't have too much to lose. It may take a couple of coats to get a good cover. And make sure to sand the body pretty rough. if you do it right it should last.

I wonder if you put several coats on if you can polish it? If you do it make sure to keep your friends here on Talkbass up to date. :bassist:

21. Epidrake

Epidrake