I think I'm gonna eat less meat..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Becoming vegetarian is not something I'm able to do, but I am thinking about eating less meat. Why? Cause I feel ashamed that the animals that are slaughtered for their meat live in barbaric conditions.

I know I don't solve anything with this, but I want to do atleast something to take away some of the ''pressure'' that stands on this industry to feed millions every day..

Anybody else here who eats less meat or doesn't eat meat at all?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

You could also buy meat from cattle that was raised outside of factories and decently killed.
    It's more expensive but we eat way too much meat anyway.

3. Thomas Kievit

:)

4. Caustic Crunch

Caustic Crunch

My better half is a Vegetarian, but she eats dairy.
    I don't think I could completely do away with meat. But I really should make an effort to cut back, it's proven to be a good thing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Immigrant

Immigrant

I've cut back on meat because of budget issues and have considered going completely meatless because of "flesh eating" thinking, but haven't yet. It makes it hard when my neighbor stops by with something she made that has meat. She's a great cook.

7. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

As it was out main source of food for most of our existence, how do you figure?

8. Caustic Crunch

Caustic Crunch

It's amazing how the price of meat has skyrocketed, isn't it?

9. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

I've tried a few times to go meat free for the very same reasons. I just can't do it. :(

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Rice and other grains have been our main source of food for most of our existence. Meat was only a main source back before we developed agriculture; ever since then, meat has been a luxury for developed nations, and something to put on the rice/grains.

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

The less meat you eat is more for me.

12. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Been a vege for the last eleven years, and ate little of it for two or three years before that.

Try abstaining and see if it agrees with you. Whether you keep to it or not is entirely up to you. Some do, some don't. Some go back and forth and some just eat fish. There is no standard that you have to keep or live up to. Do what's right for you.

Good luck on your endeavor however it turns out.

13. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Not so true

14. Thomas Kievit

It's tough, too much great food recipes with meat :p But I want to cut it off a bit though, maybe starting with 2 or 3 days less in the week and maybe go a bit further than that afterwards :)

15. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Vegan here. Meat-free for over 35 years. And it's true, my poo does not stink. ;)

16. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

This is certainly a good way to go about it.

17. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

whoa whoa, you mean us

18. P Town

P Town Guest

It's been about fifteen years since I quit eating meat. I,m almost sixty years old, and I weigh the same as I did when I graduated from high school. While I do suffer with arthritis my health otherwise has been great. I have not had any cold, or flue type illness since I quit eating meat. My blood pressure, and cholesterol levels are always very good. Producing food by growing animal feed, and feeding livestock, burns up a lot of extra diesel fuel, and uses a lot more water than growing plant based foods for direct human consumption. I really enjoy the food I eat, so I don't feel like I have given up anything.

19. FunkyBassRiddim

FunkyBassRiddim

unify against nature destruction.

I desperately want to improve my diet as I know it will be key to boosting my creativity, health, and overall well being. I'm not a terrible eater now but man we eat what's profitable not what's right for us so it sucks. Everything is poison.

But let me stop before everyone tells me to get my tinfoil hat lol.

How do you vegans and vegetarians and people who don't eat processed foods do it? Where did you learn what you need to eat and such? Is it more expensive? What are some basic steps I can take?

20. duff beer

duff beer

I'm not a vegetarian and never will be, but I have cut back on meat consumption. Instead of an 8 ounce steak, I'll have a 4 or 5 ounce steak, I cut back a bit on how much meat goes into the spaghetti sauce, 2 chicken legs instead of 4, half a chicken breast rather than a whole one. The difference is simply made up with more of the other items on the plate.

21. Thomas Kievit

I think it is something that has to come into your mind :) If you feel (like many others) ashamed of what is happening to the animals in the food industry, then it can be a push in the direction to stop eating meat.

Also, some people stopped eating meat cause of several food scandals or cause they just do not like it.

Just look on the internet for recipes and such. And believe me, it doesn't have to be expensive ;)