1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I think i'm gonna start collecting cheap P-bass copies...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The 0x, May 23, 2005.

?

Should I get this cheap P-bass copy?

Poll closed May 30, 2005.
  1. Yes

62 vote(s)
    63.9%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    36.1%
  1. The 0x

The 0x

and mod them to make them better.

I found this P-bass copy at Music-Go-Round, sunburst, with a fantastic neck, low action, and good body resonance. The only week point was the pickup, which was microphonic. They want $80 for it. To me, that sounds like a steal, especially since I can just swap the pickup with the Fender Original 62 P pickup in my uncle's Cort that I never play anymore (he doesn't use overdrive like I do, or play anymore for that matter). I forget the name brand, but the grain in the wood was nice, and it had a black pickguard.

I also have to mention that I have to give back the 1972 Fender Precision soon, :( so I need a decent bass of my own now.

For $80 should I get it?
  2. Mike N

Mike N Supporting Member

For $80 I dont think you can lose. If it turns out to totally suck, you can probably sell it for the purchase price, and lose nothing on it.
  3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Go ahead. It's your money, not mine :p But seriously, I don't think you can lose with that price tag. It would be fun to experiment with at least.
  4. tplyons

tplyons

I'll buy almost anything for $80 that plays well and works. Gofer it!
  5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe

+1

:D

Joe.
  6. CeroFrio

CeroFrio

As said, you don't have much to lose, but only get it if you're sure that you can get that fender pickup in it. And maybe you might want use some of that money you've saved to put in more reliable wiring and such. From my experience, with good pickups and a great amp, you'll be fine. As long as you find the bass comfy to play, go for it.
  7. Freighttrain451

Freighttrain451

If it plays well, then at that price it sounds good to me. Do you so happen to know how old it is? I'd be kinda worried about everything going south really quickly, especially that neck, but if its already a bit aged, then i don't know that that would be a problem, at least for as long as you'd use it.
  8. The 0x

The 0x

Aight, I think imma get it. It has a gorgeous sunburst with the grain showing through, I might get a tort guard for it.

It doesn't look too old, but everything's pretty substantial, tuners work great as well.

I'll let you know how it works out. :)
  9. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Why not? Some dirt-cheap basses are astoundingly better than they have any right to be. I bought a Kramer Focus 420S for under a hundred new, expecting it to be a piece of junk. It turned out to be a pretty decent instrument (for what it is... let's keep things in perspective here! :) ). I didn't plan to keep it when I bought it, but it plays so well my tune changed to, "Well, maybe I'll just change out the pickups and keep it..." But lately I've been dialing in a little 600Hz gain on the parametric and just a touch of simulated tube warmth on the preamp, and the thing is surprisingly growly-sweet sounding (again, for what it is). So now I'm not sure I need to do anything right now but play it! :D

Like Mike N said, if you decide not to keep it you can probably get what you paid for it... I wouldn't be surprised if you got more. Just keep the original p'ups so you can swap them back in if you decide to sell it. :smug: Go for it!

Have fun, and let us know how it turns out.

Maverick
  10. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works/Barker Bass
    If you're into fooling around with equipment, definitely go for it, especially at the price .... you really have nothing to lose :)

I do a lot of old J & P knock-off rehabs, sometimes you really get something truely worthwhile. And I have yet to lose any money doing it .... I'm always able to get the original cost of the bass + the upgraded parts + a small profit every time. Here's a link to my newest project bass:
    http://www.members.aol.com/justabassplayer/goya.html

This was a huge surprise, a beautiful playing/sounding 1968 Goya J bass (actually made by Aria for Goya). I paid $200 for this bass, and it's worth way more than that :bassist: The tone is incredible, vintage warmth :cool:
  11. AuG

AuG

Well I voted no just because its a p-bass copy, but then you said it's goin for 80$, so I'll switch my vote to go for it. Why not? It'd be fun to play around with. :D
  12. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Gotta love cheap P-bass copies! If the body and neck are solid, evrything else is a cheap and easy upgrade. I've done a few myself.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

If the neck is good, and the bass looks decent and has good resonance, I don't see how you can go wrong for $80. Get it!:D
  14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:
    HI

Good deal and you can smash it on stage if its not a good bass

Rob
  15. BWileyTally

BWileyTally

Go for it. I've got two cheap P copies. A Mako and a Kramer Focus 420s. I love them both. I got the Mako for $40 and the Kramer for $85. I'd do it again too.
  16. BWileyTally

BWileyTally

Oh god. I just realized this is an old post? Let the laughter begin....
  17. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Even 8 years later you cant wrong on any bass for $80. Back to the future........and back again. :D
  18. BoomBoomOGTL

BoomBoomOGTL Supporting Member

No. It's one thing to buy them. fine. Congrats, you got a bargain. But will you actually play them? I've bought cheap, playable guitars in the past (only because they were inexpensive) but they wound end upplayed being I have nicer gear available. Why buy a cheapie only to have nice gear go unplayed? If that's all you have, then it's a fantastic plan but you shouldn't be buying or 'collecting' more than 1 or 2.

Life it too short for cheap guitars. :)
  19. mystic38

mystic38

for $80, as long as you can set it up and play it, it makes a great hack project guitar.. rout it for a P/J..pickups.. what fun! :)
  20. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Good wood = usable bass. Electronics / hardware can always be switched. Go for it.