1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I think I'm looking for flats, but I'm not sure.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

So, I'm considering flats. Again.

However, I'm looking for some very specific things, and I'm not sure where to be looking. It's possible I'm just looking for roundwound strings and don't know it. So, here's what I'm looking for:

6 strings, must fit on Ibanez BTB (Jason from BSO told me a while ago that they have to be 38'' uncut? Feel free to correct me if that's not what you said)

Looking mostly for a tone like Ron Royce from Coroner, on this live recording. No clue what strings he used, or any of his gear other than a Zon Sceptre and possibly a solid-state amp.

Other tones I find similar and like are Geddy on the albums Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, and 2112 and JPJ on Houses of the Holy.

So, it's looking like I want something a bit brighter than your typical flat, but in the midrange rather than the treble. Perhaps Rotosound flats? Would those fit? Or Chromes?

What are your opinions?

2. lz4005

lz4005

You would be able to get close to those tones easily with roundwounds and EQ. Why do you want to use flats?

edit: I like flats and use them on several of my basses. But not when I want to sound like any of those players.

3. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Every time I've used rounds I've been getting too much click and snarl to sound much like, for instance, Royce. The closest I've gotten was dead LaBella steels on a P-bass, and the lack of much click may have been related to bad action. So I figure some good flats might get me a sound without too much treble and minimal noise.

Also, just kinda looking for something a bit different. Never tried the clean and round (so to speak) sound in metal.

Though if you know a way to get Sunbeams and Barts to sound like Ron Royce, I'm all ears.

4. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    TI flats have huge mids and make 6 string sets and extra long scale.

5. Register to disable this ad