I think it's about time for a new strap

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kwesi, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

I'm feeling like my current straps are a bit too long even at its shortest length but I love the 3 in. wide, padded feel and the ease of adjustment. Looking for alternatives. My bass is about 12lbs so I need as much help as I can get, haha.

I used to rock a set of comfort straps but I didn't like that they had a bit of a tendency to bounce around. None of those leather straps that take actual effort to adjust, please.
  2. rudedog

rudedog

I bought a 4" Levy leather strap when I got my Ibanez SR 1205e. It's not nearly as heavy as your bass but the strap distributes the weight well, helps prevent neck dive and is plenty comfortable IMHO. They have all the popular widths with and without padding.
  3. elgecko

elgecko

4. TXLawDawg

TXLawDawg Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smogg

smogg

Just take your strap to a seamstress or leather shop and have it cut down and re-sewn. Much cheaper than a new quality strap and it's tailored to your needs. I've done it many times.

7. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I have 3 straps that I like and would recommend.
    Levy 2.5" signature. (This one actually has padding under the leather unlike the two others.)
    Levy 4" Suede (This one is particularly good against neck dive, the suede grips more)
    Fender 4" (?) leather strap

I never liked neoprene, textile, etc strap. I'm partial to leather.
  8. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

try Souldier straps, from Chicago...they have 3 inch wide bass straps, made from car seatbelt material.

they are all hand sewn and you can get a wide choice of custom designs and patterns for around 50.00 bucks

my son uses them and says they are the most comfortable he has ever had.

http://www.souldier.us/Default.aspx

[​IMG]
  9. Not yet

Not yet

Paid lots for a Moody years ago and been very happy and very comfortable

4" leather w leather lining, was about $150
  10. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

Damian Erskine Duostrap Signature from Gruv Gear.
    Best money I have ever spent on an accessory and a lifesaver for my back.
  11. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    This one is my next strap. I've seen all the videos and even talked with Damian about it on Facebook. It really seems like a great concept, and it's also a very nice looking strap.
  12. NCD

NCD

Smogg's got the idea but I did it on the cheap. I have a fat, padded Levi strap that I opened up all the way to make it long, folded up the nylon so there's a z shape in it to eat up a little of the length (you don't need much) and then super glued the nylon to itself so it stayed pressed into that Z shape.

Then I put on the now shortened strap and have been happy with it every since. Just don't eat up all the slack... you still need to adjust it some when you put it back on! :D
  13. Disaster Area

Disaster Area I can't think of anything to put here.

Personally, I've enjoyed the Wide Rides strap I bought. You can choose the length/width of it, and it is comfortable and also can counteract neck dive as well (if you choose the "sticky" option).