1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I thought I'd heard it all

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sharkbait130, Feb 26, 2014.

1. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I gotta share this , it's almost unbelievable but here goes. I play in two bands , one well established and a startup that a friend and I put together a couple months ago. Ran into the guy after not seeing each other for over 35 years. He wanted to sing and I had some spare time so WTH.
    The drummer in the established band was leaving . We knew this was coming for months and he more than honored his obligations to the band. The drummer in the start up band found out and wanted into the established band. To be fair , he's ok but has no transportation and no drum mics so he really wasn't considered. Turns out he thought I was the big wheel in the established band ( I 'm the new kid on the block actually) and got miffed when he found out they found another drummer. He quits the start up band over this with a gig on the books one month away.As he's walking out the door , he says to me "if the new drummer in the other band doesn't workout , be sure to call me."
    And I thought I had heard it all. Sheeeeesh. Some guys have all the nerve.

2. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Did he ask you for bus fare, too? Some people are just clueless like that.

Not exactly band management, but the same kind of person. I did my good deed for the day a month or two ago when I almost ran into a car stalled on an exit ramp. I carried a tow strap (past tense), so I figured the car had broken down. The driver was in the car, and I offered to pull her car to a safer spot. She asked if I could pull her down to the gas station more or less at the bottom of the ramp. I said sure and explained what she should do to keep the strap taut but still ok for towing. There's a bit of an art to it, but it sure isn't rocket science. First problem was that she didn't do what I asked her to do, and her car was slamming against the tow strap as she let it roll and then hit the brakes. We got to the bottom of the hill, and there was a convenience store with fuel pumps to the right, and a repair shop with fuel pumps to the left. I put on my left signal and gently started turning to the left. She completely missed it and started turning right, breaking the tow strap. I got out and went to see *** was going on. The strap was broken, so that was that. She was as far as she was going to go. She told me she thought I was going to turn right because she had run out of gas. Then she asked me for money for gas.

The answer was no. Some people!

3. Winfred

Winfred

"he's ok but has no transportation"

Let him walk away. No pun intended.

4. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Where does the singer guy who you haven't seen for 35 years fit into this? Or just a random nugget of info?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. obimark

obimark

You need to mic the drums? Where do you play madison square garden?
    Drums are already too loud without mics for most club gigs.

7. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

We play small to medium venues and we've always had our drums mic'd. At the very least the bass and snare. We play rock and hard rock, so maybe it's genre thing. Most rock bands around here are all mic'd.

8. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Just a random nugget as to why I put the band together.

9. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

We will probably be doing some outdoor gigs , plus it's easier to get a good mix if everything's mic'd in some of the larger clubs.

10. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Yah, most are too loud around here too ;) .

11. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

Probably true. But sound guys around here. They insist on it.

12. kcole4001

kcole4001

Yeah, I'd call him alright...I'd call him 'a$$#@le'.

13. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

I practiced and wrote with a band for 2 months that had been searching for a bassist for over a year. then suddenly "we tried out this other guy we're going with him" no worries, then as I'm walking out with my stuff drummer says to me "he if this new guy doesn't work out, we'll give you a call" guitarist looks at him and goes "*** dude?" and I just said "no thanks"

14. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

You should fly me in LOL. A couple weeks ago a band got pissed at me for NOT close-miking all the drums in a 25x25 room :scowl:. One of them "move the tables 1 hour before the show" places too. That'll teach me to do a favor for somebody for half my normal rate just because they couldn't find anyone else and it was only 1/2 mile from my house. I don't usually bother with local sound gigs, everyone is poor around here :meh:.