1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I want a new bass rig I think?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by grdriftin, Feb 25, 2013.

1. grdriftin

grdriftin

I've really only been playing a couple years. I have a fender standard Jazz bass that runs to a Aguilar Tone Hammer DI then onto a Hartke LH500. The cabinets I use are both Hartke 4.5xl(4-10) and a 115xl. We play mostly covers ranging from Southern rock, blues to Americana. I just want that low warm tube amp sound. I'm not real sure about the aluminum cones on the Hartke cabs. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

The biggest change will come from changing speaker cabs.

3. grdriftin

grdriftin

That's what I'm leaning to first. see what that sounds like with my amp and go from there. Good lord I don't have a clue what I need or want. Makes it hard to decide.

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

What kind of budget do you have? At these days you have choices! In the old days, not so much ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. grdriftin

grdriftin

Honestly I'd like to spend A thousand on the head and about the same on a new cab.

7. cubby6708

cubby6708

I'd go witha tonehammer500 and SL(super light) 410, you will thank your back later!

8. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Pick up a peavey IPR 1600, and buy a fEARless 115. Drive the IPR bridged into the fEARless. About $700 under your $2K budget.

9. backup

backup

you will now get every one's personal favorites.
    try being more specific as to what your priorities are.

weight? power? lows? tweeter?

with your budget you do have a whole lot of options.

b-string is right. the cab does make the biggest difference. cab and strings you know.

also the warm tube sound doesn't nessecarily involve tubes imo. there are many solid state amps that deliver a very warm and comfortable sound.

my personal recommendation when it comes to amplifiers and cabinets is ampeg.

10. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Shop out other cabs with your existing amp/bass/DI. Also consider adding a compressor to your signal chain for added saturation. Maybe 2 15's or something.

11. grdriftin

grdriftin

Like I said I really don't know. I guess weight and lows? But I'm young enough to pack a 810 around for a while.

12. grdriftin

grdriftin

@cchorney I think that's what I'll do. Change the cab first. Man thanks a ton for all the opinions. that Aguilar DI really changed my sound a ton.

13. mournblade

mournblade

As said, everyone will give you there favorites(mine is Mesa btw). Can you give us some ideas of the tones you like from existing artists, recordings etc? My advice is go to every music store you can find and play everything they have, irrespective of price. Your budget will allow you quite a large range of choices, especially if you look at used gear.

14. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    with a budget like that you have "dream rig" potential, so don't let it burn a hole in your pocket. i don't know anything about that head, but you might halve your budget and keep it, use that extra grand for bills or another luxury purchase.

15. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

Opinions vary and I think just the opposite. If you want a warm tube sound I would change the head first. New cabinets will not give a "tube" sound. The 4.5XL and 115XL should give plenty of lows and for most people they do quite well. There are plenty of different amps you can try. Mesa, Aguilar, and the Hartke Kilo come to mind quickly.

16. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Check out Mesas PH412 if you wont mind the size of an 810. LOVE this cab!

17. mournblade

mournblade

Definitely second that. If you can't find one used (they are about 1300), the GK 4x12 is also an excellent cab, I might have liked the tone out of it(the GK) slightly more to be honest.