1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I want a pedal that makes noise, and is fun to tinker with

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jamestown94west, Oct 17, 2012.

1. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

I'm building a pedal board. I intend to use the board with my band. I have all the pedals I'm going to use, save for two. One of the last two is currently being built by a fellow tb'er, and the other I haven't purchased yet. The main purpose of the board is for me to use live.

In a live setting, I only use my tuner, compressor, and in some cases, a preamp/di. I will soon have a fuzz to start using as well, but I currently don't have one to use. So my pedals are tuner, fuzz, preamp/di, and compressor.

I want to add one more pedal, to make noise with. Just something fun, that has knobs I can fiddle with. It doesn't have to make any certain sounds, because I'm not looking for a certain sound out of this pedal. I'm looking for a pedal that can make several sounds. I really just like to make a bunch of racket sometimes, mostly for my own amusement.

I don't want a multi effects unit.

I was looking at ring modulators, they seem like a lot of fun, and I've never tried one. I kind of thought that a well built, feature laden octave pedal would be nice. I don't really know. I was looking at the Way Huge Ring Worm, it seemed like a cool pedal.

I want to keep the cost at <$150

It also can't be big, because I want to use a relatively small pedal board.

Would a micro pog do what I'm asking?
  2. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Unpleasant Surprise.

A fuzz that can do some fun stuttery stopping things. Can get really shrill and trebly. Really small enclosure. Cheap. Probably the most fun I've had with a pedal that I could still actually use in public (most fun pedals sound like ****).
  3. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

Two words: Montreal Assembly Probability of a Fax Machine.
  4. DethByDoom

DethByDoom Supporting Member

Ehx bass micro synth or pog 2.
  5. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

depends what noises you want to make.

i have alot of fun with delays. the MXR carbon copy was really fun, i regret letting that one go.

anything that can self oscillate and/or feedback is fun for days.
  6. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

Calling all behndy's! Calling all behndy's!
  7. Dwarfcraft Aen

Dwarfcraft Aen

Disclosures:
    Supreme Lord, Dwarfcraft Devices
    I have some experience with pedals that make noise. You're probably going to need four or five, actually.
  8. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

:spit:
    That's 7
  9. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

Holy smokes! Lol

Is that really the name of a pedal?
  10. metalinthenight

metalinthenight Supporting Member

Subdecay Noisebox is super fun.

Also, you can't go wrong with a good delay like a DD-3 or an MXR Carbon Copy that you can use for oscillation.
  11. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

I don't really want to buy a pedal to chase a certain sound. I'd rather buy a pedal, with a basic idea of what it can do, then I want to spend some time with it discovering everything that I can make it do. That's the best way I know how to describe what I'm after.
  12. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

There's one of these on eBay right now, for $90 shipped. Is that good?
  13. Insouciance

Insouciance

Loud Button W/T/F pedal. That thing is only limited by the imagination.
  14. metaball

metaball

15. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

Infanem Second Voice.
    Death By Audio Apocalypse.
    SmallSound/BigSound Poly-Grace.
  16. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

I dunno...butt hear ya go!

http://youtu.be/uzDAR6TqZhQ
  17. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

Is that you? I watched that video a little while ago. I like what that pedal can do!
  18. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

the dude Dwarfcraft Aen who posted above makes some really awesome pedals that I'm pretty sure ALL have ways of making crazy noise. www.dwarfcraft.com/pedals

funny, today i just recieved a Tonebutcher Pocketpus. and this thing makes some damn noise! damn. just been playing on it for about the last 2 hours. i don't even know how to describe what it can do. squealing farting feedbacky extreme fuzz. totally in love with it. and its freakin TINY.
  19. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

YES. This right here is the kind of answer I was looking for. Those pedals are awesome. Thank you, kind sir.
  20. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

crap those pedals are expensive. I gotta find something cheaper, but I hope I can afford something like a dwarfcraft someday! I loved a few of those!!!!!