I want a pedal that makes noise, and is fun to tinker with

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jamestown94west, Oct 17, 2012.

1. I'm building a pedal board. I intend to use the board with my band. I have all the pedals I'm going to use, save for two. One of the last two is currently being built by a fellow tb'er, and the other I haven't purchased yet. The main purpose of the board is for me to use live.

In a live setting, I only use my tuner, compressor, and in some cases, a preamp/di. I will soon have a fuzz to start using as well, but I currently don't have one to use. So my pedals are tuner, fuzz, preamp/di, and compressor.

I want to add one more pedal, to make noise with. Just something fun, that has knobs I can fiddle with. It doesn't have to make any certain sounds, because I'm not looking for a certain sound out of this pedal. I'm looking for a pedal that can make several sounds. I really just like to make a bunch of racket sometimes, mostly for my own amusement.

I don't want a multi effects unit.

I was looking at ring modulators, they seem like a lot of fun, and I've never tried one. I kind of thought that a well built, feature laden octave pedal would be nice. I don't really know. I was looking at the Way Huge Ring Worm, it seemed like a cool pedal.

I want to keep the cost at <$150

It also can't be big, because I want to use a relatively small pedal board.

Would a micro pog do what I'm asking?
  2. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Unpleasant Surprise.

A fuzz that can do some fun stuttery stopping things. Can get really shrill and trebly. Really small enclosure. Cheap. Probably the most fun I've had with a pedal that I could still actually use in public (most fun pedals sound like ****).
  3. NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Two words: Montreal Assembly Probability of a Fax Machine.
  4. DethByDoom

DethByDoom Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Ehx bass micro synth or pog 2.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    depends what noises you want to make.

i have alot of fun with delays. the MXR carbon copy was really fun, i regret letting that one go.

anything that can self oscillate and/or feedback is fun for days.
  7. Calling all behndy's! Calling all behndy's!
  8. Dwarfcraft Aen

Dwarfcraft Aen

Feb 18, 2008
    Eau Claire, WI
    Supreme Lord, Dwarfcraft Devices
    I have some experience with pedals that make noise. You're probably going to need four or five, actually.
  9. :spit:
    That's 7
  10. Holy smokes! Lol

Is that really the name of a pedal?
  11. Subdecay Noisebox is super fun.

Also, you can't go wrong with a good delay like a DD-3 or an MXR Carbon Copy that you can use for oscillation.
  12. I don't really want to buy a pedal to chase a certain sound. I'd rather buy a pedal, with a basic idea of what it can do, then I want to spend some time with it discovering everything that I can make it do. That's the best way I know how to describe what I'm after.
  13. There's one of these on eBay right now, for $90 shipped. Is that good?
  14. Loud Button W/T/F pedal. That thing is only limited by the imagination.
  15. Infanem Second Voice.
    Death By Audio Apocalypse.
    SmallSound/BigSound Poly-Grace.
  16. NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I dunno...butt hear ya go!

17. Is that you? I watched that video a little while ago. I like what that pedal can do!
  18. G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    the dude Dwarfcraft Aen who posted above makes some really awesome pedals that I'm pretty sure ALL have ways of making crazy noise. www.dwarfcraft.com/pedals

funny, today i just recieved a Tonebutcher Pocketpus. and this thing makes some damn noise! damn. just been playing on it for about the last 2 hours. i don't even know how to describe what it can do. squealing farting feedbacky extreme fuzz. totally in love with it. and its freakin TINY.
  19. YES. This right here is the kind of answer I was looking for. Those pedals are awesome. Thank you, kind sir.
  20. crap those pedals are expensive. I gotta find something cheaper, but I hope I can afford something like a dwarfcraft someday! I loved a few of those!!!!!