I want all the basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russpurdy, Jan 2, 2014.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

I keep trying to pick out a nice bass to work towards buying. A kind of reward I can keep in mind when I need motivation. Problem is, every time I think I have one picked out, something new comes up. I've gone from American Fenders to custom Warmoth builds to Dingwall to G&L to Sadowsky to Musicman (and have waffled on different models from all those companies). Lately I've been seriously lusting after a Musicman Big Al 4 SSS. Still want the Dingwall though......and a G&L......and maybe an upright......and those Kala U Basses look pretty cool....

I'm well aware of G.A.S. and I should be happy that I have a few good Fenders and a SUB Ray4 on the way when I mostly just play at home and don't have a lot of spare income. I tell myself this for a day or so.....then I start checking out some Ed Friedland demos and it's all over. I guess there is no fighting it....

My name is Russ and I want all the basses.
  2. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

All your bass are belong to us.
  3. Ponsonby_Britt

Ponsonby_Britt

I think that with all the fine G.A.S.-inducing temptations out there, I think they own us.
  4. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Media:
    I'm having the opposite issue at the moment :/. Looking for a jazz style bass to offset my flat-toting p, but nothing plays as nice as it does, so I can't find anything that feels 'right'.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

My reward bass for 2014 will also be a Jazz (waffling between Fender, Sadowsky,and Lull)

That Big Al 4 SSS certainly is lust worthy. I have never seen so many tones in one bass.
  7. arginator

arginator Supporting Member

You could make a rule for yourself that if you buy a new bass, you must also sell an old one. I tried it. Didn't work. But it might work for you...
  8. joel406

joel406

I love Ricks and Fender J's. I see a lot of other cool instruments all over TB but I guess I'm truly old school.
  9. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    Go Lull...
    They are yummy;)
  10. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

11. Needenaneden

Needenaneden

Order yourself a G&L and get the most bang for your buck. Even the offshore models are tough to beat. If you can find a used one, even better!
  12. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

And now for something completely different....how about one of THESE?:

[​IMG]

IMHO, a vintage Peavey T40 would be a pretty nice brush to have in your palette!
  13. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Funny thing is, I saw a thread on t-40's and thought it would work well for my doomy metal project haha. The "new one in, old one out" has been working for the most part since my
    Last few basses have been results of selling one to buy another. For a pricey new "reward bass" though I think I'll eventually just buy it and add to the collection. Already have a good P Bass, good Jazz, and a beater squier P that isn't worth selling as it's only worth 75 bucks. I'm hoping the SUB Ray4 will be a keeper as well once it gets here!
  14. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

Window shopping and setting goals keeps me motivated at work. I've had a bunch of basses in the past. Wouldn't own multiples in the same format again except for a backup for my main bass. When i did one or the other was never played. Right now I'm down to a fretted 7 and a fretless 4. My dream lineup would be custom 7 fretted(main), my current 7 fretted(backup), 5 fretless, and an 8 string 4x2 fretted. But right now i have 2 car payments and my wife would probably divorce me if i spent 8 grand on a custom so I've been paying about an extra $50 on each car payment every month trying to get them paid off so i can order the custom. I have enough gear around the house i can sell and get an inexpensive fretless 5 and the 8 but i haven't had time to get around to it yet.
  15. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Game over!

LMAO!!