1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I want my P Bass to be clankier/have more zing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by caesarspalace, Apr 12, 2014.

1. caesarspalace

caesarspalace

Hey guys! I've always struggled to get good tone out of my 2006 MIM P Bass. I've always wanted to have clanky tone with a lot of zing and a bit of buzz to cut through big guitars in hardcore bands. For some weird reason my D string (and sometimes G string, depending on how new the strings are) is the only one that gets this sound while the others just sound bassy and a bit dull at some frets. You can even feel it when it's unplugged, the D string has this zingy sound the other strings just don't have.

I've played stingrays and warwicks and I can get that sound effortlessly. I don't know if it's that P basses are not made to sound that way cause they lack a bridge pickup or something but I really need some answers! I love my bass and I want to get it to work. :)

2. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I've owned several P-Basses through the years. They all had a great "clanky" sound, with a proper setup and fresh strings.

3. Immigrant

Immigrant

I've been tempted to throw a preamp in my MIM P, but I'm broke.:( If that isn't an issue for you, look at preamps on Best Bass Gear; last time I checked, they had one that (I think) fits without major modification. I'd put a separate battery compartment in if I did it.

I think separate bass and treble controls would do it. If money is tight, try stainless steel strings first.

I dunno. I'm kinda nutty.

4. DannyBob

DannyBob

Compression and overdrive on constantly should help? Oh, and new strings

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Crackle

Crackle Supporting Member

I get a huge amount of clank out of my Precision basses. It's a matter of using roundwound strings, turning the tone knob up, and having your action set low. This means a very straight neck and low saddles at the bridge.

If you're thinking Steve Harris and using flatwound strings, keep in mind that his strings are changed before every show.

7. caesarspalace

caesarspalace

Yes. I recently recorded an EP and all that stuff helped a lot. Still I wasn't completely satisfied, the best sounding parts were basslines played on the D string and some on the E string but only on some of the frets. Maybe it was a dead string problem?

8. spaz21387

spaz21387

sell it and get a sterling sub ray 4... awesome basses for the price and can nail the sound you want. I have 2 one to leave at the band house and another for home.

9. wisconsindead

wisconsindead

It sounds like your problem is due to the strings and not the bass. I had a similar issue recently where my A string sounded extremely different from the rest of the strings. I replaced that A string and now everything is as it should be. IME strings can change your tone pretty drastically. Trying out some other strings would be your cheapest and smartest next step.

10. Mushroo

Mushroo

Lower the action.

11. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

+1

Lower action, new strings, heavy touch...clank heaven...;)

Good Luck!

12. Kael

Kael

Make sure your pickup has the bass side lowered a bit. It can sound comparatively boomy if it is level.

If you are hearing this issue acoustically though, it has got to be a setup/string issue.

13. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

1. Get a good setup. If your neck has too much relief, the strings won't clank against the frets.
    2. Get new strings. If you really want zing and clank get some stainless steels.
    3. Play more aggressively.

14. caesarspalace

caesarspalace

I'll buy some stainless steel strings and lower the action to see if I can fix this issue. I can't really set it that low though cause then notes in the higher frets will sound pretty dead. I also find the 7th fret on the A string to sound dead as ****. So many issues :(

15. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Might need a fret job. You should have it looked at at a reputable shop.

16. bluejayway82

bluejayway82

Yep, stainless steel rounds, lower the action.. aaaannnnndddd.. turn the tone pot in the other direction..

17. Turnaround

Turnaround

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
  18. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    also, might replace the tone pot with a no-load and rotate to the detent, bypassing the tone pot ...

Flad likes this.
  19. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

our first real tone-changing answer!

lose the mexi bottom-loaded ceramic pickup for a "real" alnico-rod P pickup, then use brighter pots, like 500ks or even the aforementioned no-load tone pot.

these things will fundamentally change the sound for the brighter and more "clanky".

Flad likes this.
  20. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Clankier and more zing?
    1) Seymour Duncan Quarter-Pounder, adjusted as close as possible to the strings consistent with good tone
    2) 500 kohm volume and tone pots instead of 250kohm, or a "no-load" tone pot
    3) .033 tone cap instead of .047 to let more upper mids stay in the mix if your style includes songs where you turn down the tone control
    4) Stainless steel roundwounds changed frequently
    5) Maple fingerboard with light ash body

Or, just purchase a new Rickenbacker 4003.

21. devinp17

devinp17 Guest

You should look into the EHX Steel Leather Bass Expander Pedal. I have one and its an amazing pedal, I love it! Except its a little too much if you play pick-style, but I play finger-style and it sounds really great.

Good luck bro! :bassist: