1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I want to build a cabinet...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jamreveler, Nov 6, 2013.

1. jamreveler

jamreveler

To maximize my Genz-Benz Shuttlemax 9.2 amp.

I have been using this amp at my rehearsal space with two GK 4x10s and loved it so much I bought my own.

Now I need a cabinet and rather than gamble on used gear or go test a dozen options I'm thinking I want to just make my own custom cab so I can dial in my tone exactly as I want to. Help if you can please!

I'm thinking a 4x10 cab with an appropriate horn, but frankly I'm starting at ground zero here. I use a Schecter Diamond series that is a bit of a J/P crossover. I look for definition from low all the way to high with plenty of bottom but not a lot of distortion. Think Phil Lesh... I play in a Dead cover band. Overall, I'm looking for warmth throughout just not so warm the notes get lost. Warmth, definition, bottom, clarity and controllability. I know I know, long list but here's the thing... I'm getting the tone I want already from the amp, I just need a cabinet that will reflect this. I don't play super huge rooms, but when I do I anticipate driving the mains through the direct out. So what I really want to be able to do is hear myself well 5-10 feet in front of it, and send that sound into the room largely unimpeded.

I know there are a ton of cabinet building sites, etc. But looking for input into how I translate the exact tone my amp is producing into the room, knowing the tone I'm after. In particular, speaker selection, wood type/quality, any wiring recommendations... Thanks for any and all help!!!
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I know you say you want a 410, but I encourage you to take a look at greenboy's fEARful cabs. A 12/6/1 or 15/6/1 would meet your described needs wonderfully.

AND all the plands are free, all the design work is done for you.
  3. jamreveler

jamreveler

Thanks! I can't say honestly that I know I want a 410. Just seemed like the right way to go. My gear knowledge is admittedly for ****. I'm going for a tone and looking for guidance so thank you thank you!
  4. CL400Peavey

greenboy's site

fEARful plans

I think the 12/6/1 with alpha mid and true 3-way cross over would meet all your needs.
  5. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

+1

From your description, the fEARful should be perfect for you. Depending on your volume requirements, you may want a 15/6/1. I run a SM9.2 into one of these, it's a great match. The fEARful is quite flat-response, and the ShuttleMax has great EQ.
  6. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

I have a fEARful 212 (fitted with a little horn for top end) and a Genz Benz Uber410 that I run with my Shuttlemax 12.0.

To my ears the Uber410 definitely has more output (ie. it's cetainly louder!), but not quite the bottom end of the fEARful, but there's next to nothing in it.

The fEARful is a lot lighter than the Uber410.

What do I use more?
    The fEARful for rehearsals.
    The Uber410 for indoor gigs.
    The pair of them outdoors. (Ear bleed stuff!)

I've often thought that I should build a 15/15/6/6 fEARful, but seriously, how many cabs do I really need? Not that many!
  7. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Your profile lists a "fEARful 212 sub", what is that exactly? If you mean a 1212 sub, then it's really not a standalone bass cabinet, as it doesn't have the mid driver. Without the mid, it's going to sound pretty muffled, and the addition of a horn is still going to leave a huge hole in the midrange. Which might explain why it doesn't sound as loud to you.

It might depend on the kind of tone you are going for, but I feel my 15/6/1 can get louder than my old Uber410. Of course, the Uber410 was 4 ohms as opposed to the fEARful's 8. The big difference tonally is that the fEARful doesn't have the big low mid hump, which is where a lot of the body of the sound is for the Uber (and most other commercial cabinets). If you eq in the mid boost, the fEARful will match perceived volumes better.

They are both great cabinets, and there's lots of others out there. It's very fulfilling to build your own cabinet, but unless you've heard one before, you won't know how it sounds until you've built it. Definitely try out as many cabinets as you can before you decide what to do.

jamreveler, this quote is the reason I thought fEARful would be perfect for you, as it describes the overall feel of a fEARful quite well.
  8. el murdoque

el murdoque

if money is an issue here, don't build your own cab. the fEARful designs cost more to build than a really good used cab will cost.
    But if you're in for the experience, have the tools and don't lack on craftsmanship, the fEARful is the way to go.
  9. irbass

irbass

I wanted build a cabinet a year ago. But I got Barefaced Big twin (12/12/6), with markbass SD1200.
    So i change my mind after that. Very light weight, and really loud.

I was thinking to build a cab again lately 15/6, to get a small cab for practice, and like EL Murdoque said. "Cost more to build". So i change my mind again.
    I'll buy it, maybe from Barefaced again, or from LDS cabs.

Piece of advice to save money and time, buy it don't build it.
  10. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

I built my 15/6/1 from a cut kit, and I had to buy some tools that I didn't have. It cost about $600 total, not including my labor of course. If you did all the cuts yourself, you could do it cheaper. I'm not going to argue value, but I think that's pretty inexpensive for what you get.
  11. CL400Peavey

+1

I have yet to see a commercial cab that competes with the fEARfuls at their price range.
  12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

There really isn't anything quite like the fearful - and if you have the skills to do the build there is nothing in the price range that will even get close. DIY from scratch is a slippery slope.

DIY with plans that get down to the driver and crossover and bracing placement level is another thing entirely.

I had panels for my last fEarful build cut for me at the lumber yard on their panel saw. Needless to say, this was not a Lowes or Home Depot but a real lumber yard... One that caters to cabinet makers. Yes it cost maybe $50 more for the wood and the cuts but .... Very nice wood and cut to plan sizes... $50 well spent... Or grab a cut kit from Leland...
  13. Fro 20

Fro 20

I've read many reports of guys playing all different genres that say the 9.2 and the fEARful 15/6 is a match made in heaven.

I dont have the 9.2 but I have a fEARful 15/6 in in a general sense have found it to be a 410 killer
  14. irbass

irbass

Yeah. $600 for a really good cab, it's not much.
    But when i was looking to build it, it was expensive than get a new cab.
  15. wighat

wighat

I've got some advice, OP:

If you're going to build your own cab from scratch and have never done it before, you have a whole lot of research to do. Also the skills and tools required are significant. It can be fun and rewarding if you take your time and get it right; disappointing, frustrating and costly if you don't. Even if you build a great cabinet, having it sound an exact, certain way is a lofty goal.

The Fearful cabinets are lauded by many and I bet they are great. But, like all cabinets, they are a speaker mounted in a box. There is nothing magic about them. IMO, what sets Fearful apart and is the basis of their unique merit is 1) bracing, 2) an excellent crossover. If you take the Fearful route, you will surely end up with (as has already been pointed out in this thread) a hi-fi, loud and cost-effective cabinet which sounds like what you want.

OTOH, I'm a little concerned that if you fell in love with the Shuttlemax on top of twin GK 4x10's, then maybe that's what you should get.
  16. Paulusatp

Paulusatp

17. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass Paulusatp.

Nice work.

Cool retriever :).

Regards
    Sam
  18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I tell you the whole sites going to the dogs!!

I can't tell if your dog wants to listen to the box ala "His Master's Voice" or pee on it ala "AAAaahhhh That's better!" :D
  19. JACink

JACink

Nice looking cab. Do you have samples of sound?
  20. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    ?????????

It cost me less than $350 to build each of my 12/6s. Add in a few evenings of my time and it was still a bargain.