1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I want to buy a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by himluis1, Dec 4, 2013.

1. himluis1

himluis1

ok im thinking that i could sell all my stuff a mim fender jazz bass , a signature squier p bass and my bg250 bass combo amp and get some more cash and get a fender american standard jazz bass or keep some of my stuff and get a mim jazz bass .. i want new 2013 bass but cant really decide if i should go for usa or stick to mim at this point i never owned a usa bass only mim and squiers ... what u all think ???

2. StevieMac

StevieMac

I think you have GAS :)

We can't decide on your budget or your needs for you but I can suggest that you save yourself some money by shopping in the TB classifieds.

3. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

I think you have GAS.

I would do it. One Am. Std. Fender that makes you happy is worth more than 3-4 MIM that don't.

But play a few first to make sure it will actually make you happy. For some of us it's the psychological satisfaction of knowing you own the "American Standard," for some it's the actual tangible upgrades of a Am. Std. compared to the imports, and for most of us, it's both of these considerations.

Good luck with the GAS.

4. himluis1

himluis1

well at this point i have always bought used stuff so i was looking to get something brand new and something that will have to last at least 10 or 15 years ... i take good care of my equipment and this coud probably be my last oportunity to buy a new bass ... next year is all about a house and a new car for my fam ...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I pooled my resources, saved my nickels and dimes and finally got an American Fender. I haven't regretted it for a moment.

Of course now I have three American Fenders. :D

7. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

What's your goal, here? In my opinion, if you've played a particular USA Fender that you greatly prefer over what you have now, it might make sense to sell some stuff. If you just like the idea of having a USA Fender, but haven't found the particular bass, look until you find that one bass that is worth the sacrifice. Just my 2 cents.

8. stanley00

stanley00

If owning one MIA bass vs two lesser expensive imports will make you happy and content for 10 to 15 years then, I would do it. The two basses you already own will probably get you around $500 if you are patient. For a new MIA Fender, you would have to add an additional $500-$700. If you can do that without causing any serious domestic issues, then go for it.

9. rodl2005

rodl2005

I don't think it matters where a bass is built. More important is how it speaks to you. How it feels n sounds to you.
    Imo the RW Fenders (MIM) are as good as any built anywhere (possibly excluding handmade boo teek basses)
    I've owned a few MIA, MIJ & MIM Fenders and the 62AVRI P (MIA) & RW P (MIM) are the 2 that spike to me.
    PLAY em first. You may find a cheaper option does it for you more so than some more pricey basses

10. Greevus

Greevus

I'm gonna bet that if you simply go MIA vs MIM you will be disappointed at what you get for what you spend. You have GAS from reading here ;)

For what it's worth, I have a MIM Fender and a MIM Squier and I cannot tell the difference except tuners are sturdier and they added more clear coat to the neck. The Squier was by far the better overall choice. Sounds and feels virtually identical.

A luthier friend of mine said it best: "All the workers in the MIA plant are Mexicans".

11. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    The Fender Road Worns are made in Mexico. They are my preferred gigging machines right now. And I own many USA made ones including vintage. All the Road Worns need are some Antiquities by SD.