I want to play this kind of music, input please :)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by amidjang, Jan 21, 2013.

1. amidjang

amidjang

Hey there, new member here. I've been playing bass since 10 years ago casually, off most of the time. Honestly, I don't really take the bass seriously (until now.) Skill-wise, I played in regular rock and punk band, I pretty much only play the root note and no shame on that.

Recently, my GF introduced me to this kind of music and this Japanese band, and I fell in love with it! Maybe because I got older (now 35+), my preference of music has changed. For me this type of music challenge me to pick up my rusty bass and play again.

What I like about this:
    1. Sweet sweet tone and deep into the soul.
    2. It's like freestyle playing, they never play 1 bar with same variations, though the progression is still the same.
    3. The bass line is singing. That's what I realized when comparing this to my old stuff.
    4. If you listen carefully, the drum and the bass is in sync.. I've never really care about that until now that I realize the impact it produces.

Here's the sample:
    (FYI this band has both "groovy" and "mellow" section on their list) You might need headphones as these are older tunes from early 2000.
    Groovy:

And my question would be:
    1. Is this band considered as jazz? What's the sub-genre of this jazz type of music?
    2. What's the most important technique, or knowledge to be able to play this kind of groove?
    3. What makes that transition and change of chord so sweet.. is that the voice leading?
    4. What kind of bass do you think is good for this genre (currently using a 1990 Fender P-Bass)
    5. If I were to find a teacher, what kind of teacher should I get to master this kind of genre?

And yes, I'm going to pick up my bass again. The fire is burning from inside my heart, I'm pretty much amazed of how bass can be so sweet (maybe because I'm in love lol.)

Thank you people, please help me out.
  2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Not sure about the genre. It's something I hear quite often in modern urban music of Japan but I can't put my finger on it. Kind of like jamiroquai was one of my thoughts, so acid jazz may be worth looking into.

I think you can play this with a p, and the slap parts on the groovy one reminded me of one. Technically the music is not very challenging, it's more about note choice and phrasing.

If I were to learn this type of music, I would study funk basics and cover a bit of slap. That would already go a long way. As stated above, play some jamiroquai and you're halfway there if you can cop the lines of love foolosophy or virtual insanity.

For note choice, can't beat Jamerson for adding a lyrical quality to your lines. Check out "what's going on", study it and how the line relates to the chord progression. How to really play like that on the fly, that's a well kept secret we all seek to uncover lol.

That said, japan is full of awesome musicians... If you dig a bit more rock in your moonspeak, refer to the Death Note OP and ED written by a band called Nightmare. The bass blew me away (death note sucked bad though)
  3. blackbass54

blackbass54

This music is influence by R&B, but the genre is called Acid Jazz. There are quite a few bands out of Great Britain that play that style of music. Jamiroquai can get close. But if you want to know who this music closely resembles; that would be INCOGNITO. This band in my opinion has been heavily influenced by INCOGNITO.
  4. GigJones

GigJones

IMHO:

1. I would consider this Smooth Jazz. As others stated, it is heavily influenced by R&B and early west-coast jazz.
    You can find many artists that play this same style, by using Pandora or Google searching for “smooth jazz radio”, for other listening examples.

2. Learn every aspect of playing bass: chords, scales, counter-point, harmony, groove, ear training, etc.

3. Understanding key centers and passing tones will aid in the transitioning from one chord to the next.

4. Mostly any bass will do. However, I’ve found that using a jazz-style bass (with two pickups) will get you closer to this sound and faster.

5. I would choose a traditional jazz bass teacher. If you can play jazz, you can play just about any other style -- except for maybe classical. You’ll learn invaluable theory that will help you in all playing situations.

I hope this helps.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cnltb

cnltb

1- Acid Jazz or Smooth is what I'd call it. Does not have much to do with 'Jazz' at all.
    2- More than a specific technique is knowing the genre and the cliche`s used whn playing it.
    3- chord voicings and the production, I'd say.
    4- I recon a Jazzbass will work.
    5- I'd ask someone like julian crampton or randy hope taylor for lessons. Depending where you are of course.

More than any teacher, listening to and playing along with the music to get to know it properly Is what I'd suggest.
    I'd suggest you listen to Incognito or the brand new heavies.
  7. bearhart74

bearhart74

Acid Jazz ....
    Brand New Heavies
    Incognito
    Galliano
    New Mastersounds
    More
  8. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Yes to it not being hard to follow the beat, thus, it's not going to be that hard to lay down a groove. Lock in with the kick drum and the ole root on one and then chord tones and fills for a groove the music pulls you into. Nothing new here. There being a vocalist brings up the following:

As to the free flowing and still maintaining the beat. In my World you can do both if - the kick drum rules the beat and your groove and then you change chords on the correct syllable of the chord change word, i.e. as the vocalist sings that lyric word. Not before and not after, spot on.

See how that works for you.
  9. LostBoyScout

LostBoyScout

Listen to two groups: Down to the Bone and 480 East. These two groups are very much along the lines of what you're looking for, and even have a few tricks with vocals on their releases. I would second the sound to be influenced by Incognito and The Brand New Heavies, and maybe even a little Sweetback (Sade's band).

Mike
  10. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

For me it has elements of smooth jazz, and as for the bass playing similar in style of Paul Denman from Sade, or George Anderson from Shakatak, and others of that era.
    But she has a great voice and a great band behind her and they are doing a great job in bringing this sort of music back to younger audiences. It also has few other jazz influences, as we would expect... so a sort of "smooth fusion" if there is such a term

But back to Paul check him out.....top man and still with Sade a good 30 years on.:)
  11. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

The Japanese always recognized great artists, sometimes before American people have. After all, my all time favorite artist, had to go to Japan to be discovered by jazz guitarist Lee Ritenour. Eric Tagg owned a landscaping company before finding his fame in Japan. I would like to thank you for introducing me to a new genre of music, consisting of bossa-nova/jazz/acid-jazz/soul, and blue-eyed soul! What great feel good music to keep up your chops, and ear training. Am on my way to Ebay to purchase some of their cd's. Hope they are available. Happy woodshedding, I can't think of any better music ti spend time with. Good luck with your practice !
  12. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

That band has definitely been influenced by the mid-90s groove stuff coming out of England. Incognito is the first band that comes to mind (especially the 'Tribes, Vibes And Scribes' and 'Positivity' albums) when listening to the first track. For the second track the first song that popped into my head was 1979s 'What You Won't Do For Love' by Bobby Caldwell. Some other stuff in a similar vein:

Jamiroquai's first album, 'Emergency On Planet Earth'
    The Brand New Heavies' first (self titled) album and 'Brother Sister'
    Mondo Grosso
    Anything you can find on a label out of France called 'Big Cheese Records'
    The James Taylor Quartet
    Corduroy's 'High Havoc' and 'Dad Man Cat' albums
    Outside' Àlmost In' and 'The Rough And The Smooth' albums
    Jhelisa's 'Galactica Rush' album
    A compilation album called 'Red Hot + Cool'

Also check out Me'shell Ndegéocello's first two albums ('Plantation Lullabies' and 'Peace Beyond Passion') as well as Maxwell's 'Urban Hang Suite' and D'Angelo's 'Voodoo'.

You might also enjoy the band Soulive.

For older stuff (that influenced the early-to-mid 90s Acid Jazz movement) check out some of the following:

Pleasure
    Don Blackman's self-titled album from 1982
    Side Effect
    L.A. Boppers
    Twennynine
    Tom Browne
    Roy Ayers
    Bernard Wright
    Earth, Wind And Fire
    Kool & The Gang (especially pre-1978)

As for teachers, I would look for someone who plays jazz on electric and has a good understanding of R&B and Soul.
  13. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Came across this thread by pure coincidence...definitely digging Incognito and Jamiroquai. Thanks, guys!
  14. bmb73

bmb73

Subscribed and getting some albums. Thanks!
  15. amidjang

amidjang

Thank you all for the suggestions and inputs. I definitely have lots of homework now. All the bands mentioned, especially incognito, really get into me. Maybe, the japanese band are more light-weight compared to them but I can see the very same nuances going going on there.

I'll listen to them and report back, it's really great to discover these many bands/artists with similar genre that you're really into, or just into, amazing.
  16. tmntfan

tmntfan

not quite the same but some old school funk would be good listening for anybody interested in this type of music too:
    james brown
    Tower of Power
    see herbie hancocks album "thrust"