I want to record with a mixer and my laptop. How?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BassPlayer900, Feb 2, 2013.

1. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

So I have a mixer and I want to start recording bass with it. I want to get recording software on my laptop to make this possible.

I have a SansAmp BDDI, which can be used to send my bass directly into the mixer.

With my SansAmp, I plan on using the XLR output + an XLR cable to plug into the phantom powered mic input on the mixer. Then I can plug an instrument cable into the SA's parallel output and my amp's input to use my combo amp as a monitor, correct? Or I could plug my headphones into the mixer.

So I plan on getting an XLR cable...

Is this all/what I need? I don't need to do anything to my laptop other than install recording software on it, right?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

I would get some sort of firewire/usb recording interface for the computer. Laptop sound chips are extremely bad.

3. aasti3000

aasti3000 Supporting Member

+1. In fact, if you get that you could probably get rid of the mixer if you're using Logic, Protools, Cubase because they have a console style interface built in. And the signal might be a little cleaner if you 'X' the mixer out and use the DAW.

4. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

I think I'll go with a USB recording interface.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. srayb

srayb

I recently picked up a Zoom R8 (around $300) - and although it is an all-in-one recorder, it also has the ability to function as an audio interface/controller for your PC software (comes with Cubase LE on disc). I think it has the requirements you stated as well.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

I am certainly no expert on recording.... but one relatively inexpensive but good interface that I like is the Lexicon Lambda.

I have also used the Mackie Onyx blackjack and some of the m-audio products.