1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I want to record with a mixer and my laptop. How?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BassPlayer900, Feb 2, 2013.

1. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

So I have a mixer and I want to start recording bass with it. I want to get recording software on my laptop to make this possible.

I have a SansAmp BDDI, which can be used to send my bass directly into the mixer.

With my SansAmp, I plan on using the XLR output + an XLR cable to plug into the phantom powered mic input on the mixer. Then I can plug an instrument cable into the SA's parallel output and my amp's input to use my combo amp as a monitor, correct? Or I could plug my headphones into the mixer.

So I plan on getting an XLR cable...

Is this all/what I need? I don't need to do anything to my laptop other than install recording software on it, right?
  2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

I would get some sort of firewire/usb recording interface for the computer. Laptop sound chips are extremely bad.
  3. aasti3000

aasti3000 Supporting Member

+1. In fact, if you get that you could probably get rid of the mixer if you're using Logic, Protools, Cubase because they have a console style interface built in. And the signal might be a little cleaner if you 'X' the mixer out and use the DAW.
  4. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

I think I'll go with a USB recording interface.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!
  5. srayb

srayb

I recently picked up a Zoom R8 (around $300) - and although it is an all-in-one recorder, it also has the ability to function as an audio interface/controller for your PC software (comes with Cubase LE on disc). I think it has the requirements you stated as well.
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

I am certainly no expert on recording.... but one relatively inexpensive but good interface that I like is the Lexicon Lambda.

I have also used the Mackie Onyx blackjack and some of the m-audio products.