I was told 4ohm tweeter can go with 8ohm woofer. Is this true?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thebassbuilder, Apr 10, 2014.

1. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    I have a tweeter that I read as a 4 or 8ohm tweeter. Come to find out it is a 4ohm tweet. I spoke to Parts Express about this and they said the cap that comes attached to it will allow me to use this with my 8ohm woofer. Does this sound correct?

Also this is going to be part of a 2 8ohm cab stack. Will this change anything?

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

If both cabs will have the 4 ohm tweeter it "could" cause some trouble. At those frequencies overheating I doubt will be an issue, oscillation maybe depending on the amp head's design and output typology. As far as a 4 ohm tweeter working with a 8 ohm woofer, no problem.

3. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Assuming the only element in the high pass filter is a single capacitor, yes that sounds correct. The impedance that the amplifier sees from tweeter + capacitor will be well above 4 ohms except for maybe in the high treble, and an impedance dip to 4 ohms up there is imo very unlikely to be a problem, even in you parallel a pair of such cabs. But I'm not an amplifier tech so I suggest you get a second opinion.

4. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    Thanks everyone. Just in case this needs to be mentioned. The cab with the tweeter will be a 1x12 cab that will have the 4ohm tweeter off most the time. The top cab will be a 1x8" that will handle the mids & highs. My amp is bi-amp able and has a built in crossover. I think the only time I will have the tweeter on is if I run just the 1x12 by it self. Just want to through that out there.

5. Register to disable this ad