I will be making Spitfire tortoisehell PBass pickguards. Need your help though

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spitfire7, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Spitfire7

Spitfire7

Disclosures:
    CEO of Spitfire Vintage Tortoiseshell Pickguards
    Hey guys,

I need your help.

What is the most common PB guard if I were to make one cutting template?

Also, what is the deal with the notch in the neck truss rod area on the pickguard? Should I just bevel that area or actually do the full cutout? Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks.
  2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

The USA standard pattern may be the most common.

YES bevel the TR cut out.
  3. Spitfire7

Spitfire7

Disclosures:
    So what I am talking about is should I just cut the small bevel like on the vintage models seen here

[​IMG]

Or

Should I cut the huge cutout like on the new standard models? I would rather do just a nice bevel because I think it looks nicer, but I dont know the PBass very well so I am not sure if the bass actually needs the larger cutout like on the standard seen here

[​IMG]
  4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

The top pic looks like a small nick.
    It needs to be more like the bottom pic, so it can serve it's purpose - allow access to the truss rod adjustment. The 13 screw holes are standard too.. Don't put holes for a thumb rest, tug bar or pick up cover on your 'guards. People adding those accessories can drill their own.
  5. Arizona Jones

Arizona Jones Supporting Member

IMO, the guys who are after a more vintage looking tort guard aren't going to want that large truss rod notch.

You have done all this work on the tort, why can you only do one guard? IMO, you need to do a vintage correct guard and then possibly an American Standard guard with the big truss rod notch.
    josiah goldfish likes this.
  6. markorbit

markorbit

Agree with the above. If there is only one template I'd stick with the vintage reproduction with the shallow bevel. Also leave the extra holes for the thumbrest and cover to the buyer.

Count me in by the way, I'm interested.
  7. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

Yeah, I would make it with the small vintage style notch and no thumbrest/cover holes. Then if a buyer wants those holes or a bigger TR notch, I would just make those mods to your 1 basic style guard on request. Then you can sell to more people.
  8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

No. The US vintage basses 60/70/80's only have the small moon crescent bevel as in the top pic.
    Only the late models have the U shaped notch.
    If I was to make one cut pattern, it would be for the vintage one. IMO the late ones with the big notch look soo wrong on an early bass.
  9. Spitfire7

Spitfire7

Disclosures:
    Awesome guys. Thank you for the help. So gathering this information I will go with the early bevel and not cut the thumb and cover holes. Thanks guys.

Does anyone have a precise tracing of the Standard 13-hole PBass guard? Preferably set as a vector for the laser cutting process.

Also, I am in the making process of the template, but I need to know the right version to use. Is it the AVRI 62, the AV63, American Standard or are they all the same? Does someone have a tracing of one of these?

Also, I am not sure if you guys have seen my stuff, but check out some of my pics of my tortoise shell material and some of the pickguards I have made. http://spitfiretortoiseshellpickguards.wordpress.com/pictures-and-styles/
  10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I think I have a slightly modded US 62RI tort guard you can have. I drilled it for a 3rd pot and a toggle switch and the chrome pickup cover holes were in a slightly different spot, but you're not using those anyway.
  11. Spitfire7

Spitfire7

Disclosures:
    Oh I would love it. That would be awesome. Thank you. I will PM you my address. Thanks.
  12. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Spitfire7, I've been an observer of the quest for the perfect tort on that offset forum while I'd been on my quest for the best tort around, I'm beyond certain yours is it! I'd been thinking about messaging you about a Stingray pickguard.... If you get around to adding the Stingray to your list of offerings I have a stock guard I could send you.
  13. Spitfire7

Spitfire7

Disclosures:
    Perfect. I am glad you said that. I was just asked if I wanted to have a stingray template, but you are the first person interested. So I can put in that order to get that template made. Now I know there are several different styles right? There is the single pu, the humbuker, and the dual humbucker style right? Are they all the same perimeter? Can you actually trace your guard perfect, scan it, and send that to me in a PDF. If so, I can send that to my guy in France and he will make me the template for it.
  14. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Yep. I can do that this weekend, actually probably early next week as I'll have to find a scanner at school. All I know is the single pickup models, they're exactly the same since the beginning other than anything made before I think it's 1990 doesn't have the truss wheel notch.
  15. Hawkbone

Hawkbone Supporting Member

16. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

Hey mark, this is Daniel. My 62 ri and 57 ri guard are on their way to you today!
  17. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

I think if someone is going to spend $150 on a pickguard (well worth it IMO, those things are beautiful). That person is going to be going for raw accuracy. Which would mean AVRI p bass.

I'd say your best bet would be to make a balls accurate AVRI guard. With optional cover/tugbar holes.
  18. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

Hey Spitfire, good to see you're moving into the bass market! Been waiting a long while for this! Anyways, I'd agree with what some others have been saying, as far as going for the AVRI 62/63 version, with pup cover holes and thumbrest holes included. As people already stated, I'm guessing the market for a lot of these pickguards would be for the more historic oriented basses to make them more correct. I don't think making a 2nd pattern for a more modern Pbass guard is a bad idea either, but maybe to start, stick with the vintage model. Let me know when you move to making Jazz Bass guards, I'll be all over one!
  19. Spitfire7

Spitfire7

Disclosures:
    Guys great info, great help, and great web link. Also, thank you for the guards D Bopp. I will be looking forward to them.

I think I will make my template with all holes and options. That way in my order form you can specifically request to have the extra holes or not. I think I should even put the 50's hole pattern in it as well. As long as the shapes for the Pbasses are all the same.

Now for the Jazz bass, according to the link with all that awseome information, the Vintage and reissue are the same, but the American Standard has the smaller pickup. Not only is it smaller its enough off to where it wouldn't accept a AVRI or Vintage pickup because of the way its cut. How common are the American Standard JBasses? Is that kind of like the AV65 and AVRI62 Jaguar and the American Standard would be the cheaper Classic player Jaguar?
  20. narwhale

narwhale Supporting Member

Agreed, as an owner of a 62 AVRI. If I'm spending the money to upgrade the brown stock 'tort' (and it's going to be hard for me to resist after seeing them!) I would want as close to accurate as possible.