1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I Wish Fender made more 2 pup Short Scales!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

If anyone has followed any threads I've posted in, over the past few years, it's obvious that i prefer short scales.

I'm getting to that point in my life where i pretty much know what i want to sound like, and i know what i need to get that sound.

For me, that sound is either a J/J or H/H short scale. These days, i either play a '77 Univox Hi-Flyer (HH), or a backup SX ss Jaguar (JJ). In coming to this conclusion, i've owned and played many different short scales of many makes and models. This, of course, includes all of the Fender offerings. I've owned a 70's Musicmaster, a newer CiJ Mustang, an 80's Bullet, a Squier VM Musicmaster, and a modded Squier Bronco.

The theme of it all is that they're all of the P bass 'theme' with the 1 pickup in the "sweet spot". Now, i love my MiJ '62 RI P bass. I love Fender, in general. I grew up with them. I grew up on Motown and THEE Fender P bass tone. It was one of the best days ever that i bought my first MiM Fender bass. Just having a bass with that "Fender" logo on it gives me a sense of pride.

Unfortunately, that pride does not overshadow my sound. So, i've had to move away from my Fenders to other brands.

I do love my basses i play now. The Univox especially. But i miss playing a Fender. I think it has something to do with both guitarists playing Fenders (Jag and Jazzmaster, respectively). I WANT THAT TOO!

I wish there were (EASILY ACCESSIBLE) short scale Jazz basses. I wish that the Jaguar bass was a short scale, like the guitar. I wish that i liked the P/J set up so i could like the VM Jaguar. I wish i had more Fender shortscale options than the Mustang.

Am i overlooking any?

I do realize that there are now Starcasters and Coronados... but i'm also not a fan of hollowbodied basses... :scowl:

2. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

This may not be easy, but Fender Japan makes a short scale Aerodyne Jazz Bass. 32" Scale. I've seen them on Ebay from time to time...

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

4. ejaggers

ejaggers

A Coronado II is short scale and has two pups. I love my to death due us part!!!

A Starcaster also has two, but I don't know much about them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

I'm happy enough with my Squier Jag SS, closed enough to Fender for me.

7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

So, it's not just me who's been interested in a Fender (or even a Squier) short-scale Jazz. I briefly had a Mikey Way Mustang. I dug the feel of the neck, but that's where the love affair stopped. Sonically, too monochromatic…ergonomically, too ass-heavy (or whatever the opposite term for "neck dive-y" is).

I see SX makes two pickup shorties, but the fretboard radius is a deal-killer for me. Certainly, it's a personal preference, but my hands prefer a curvier radius.

At least for now, it looks like the only ways to get one would be a Fender Japan Smart Size Jazz or to do a Warmoth short-scale build (they're Fender-ish, right?).

8. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

You could build (or have built) a Warmoth short scale bass. 30" or 32" scale are available. They offer so many options it's mind boggling, although they can get a little pricey, especially if they do the paint/finish. The quality is top notch. I'm planning on a 32" jazz build soon.

By the way, my first "real" bass was a Univox Hi-Flyer.

9. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

I'd love some Fender shorties with 2 pick ups too!

this is what I've been dreaming of lately:

2 pup Fender Mustang
    [​IMG]

Jazzmaster

[​IMG]

:hyper:

10. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Well, there is the Japanese Fender JB62SS :)

11. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

12. nshuman

Well, technically, 32 is usually regarded as the threshold that takes it to Medium Scale.

28-29*<32: Short
    32<34: Medium
    34: Long

Above 34 is where it gets murky. Different people have different ideas as to what makes it Extra Long Scale, reaching 35? 36?

But, 32 is definitely Medium. Some Short Scale Strings are designed for 32-33 inches to allow for bridge+tailpiece designs.

*up for debate where the Micro starts and ends

BassHappy likes this.
  13. Malak the Mad

Just to add a little more to the strings-discussion; when I was looking for a new set of rounds for the aforementioned Mikey Way Mustang, a guy at BassStringsOnline recommended I get a set of medium-scale strings for it, what with the string-thru body and all.

14. nshuman

That is another case where you would want Medium Scale strings. TI shorts are long enough though (they are designed to accommodate Hofners).

15. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

16. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Agreed, fender needs to make more shortscale basses. I'd love a 30" FENDER P bass. That'd be great. I have the mustang, but the P is great to.
    Also, I'd love a nice shortscale jazz so I could rip out the frets, throw some flats on and have that upright vibe with single coils going on.

17. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Another vote for more SS Fenders for the US market!

All my basses are SS, but only one is a Fender.

18. charismaticdog

charismaticdog

19. jstar

jstar

I'm dealing with this right now as well. My girlfriend wants a Mikey Way mustang bass so badly, but I just hate the way they sound and I am struggling to come up with a cool alternative for her that she'll like.

20. Jungy

Jungy

21. Malak the Mad

Here's a crazy thought&#8230;

Would it be possible to route out space for a second pickup on a Mustang? Maybe a slightly smaller slot to accommodate a Jazz's neck pickup, effectively turning it into a Mustang P/J? Perhaps, something&#8230;

[​IMG]

&#8230;like this?

And they call me Mad?! :D