1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I wish I could keep it!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SixxStringBass, Dec 8, 2012.

1. SixxStringBass

SixxStringBass

So my friend just went on vacation for a couple weeks and he decided to leave me with his old Rickenbacker 4001! I instantly plugged it in and noticed that it had seen better days. Despite its age, however, it still plays like a dream. I only wish I could keep it :crying:

2. Herrick

Herrick

Well, the short time you get to spend with it will make it all the sweeter :D

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Love it caress it and whisper sweet nothings maybe, just maybe she will leave home and move it with you?.

4. SixxStringBass

SixxStringBass

He never actually said he LIKED the bass when he played it so I can sure hope :p. On a side note, the bass has some tapewound strings on them that I really like, have never tried tapewound strings before.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

You're starting to get yourself worked up don't do it bask in the moment enjoy and savor every second.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I owned a '78 4001 for awhile - although it played very well, I just couldn't get past the ergonomics and tone of it... On the bright side, I made some decent cash when I flipped it...

- georgestrings

8. SirMjac28

I think it has to be the most recession proof bass ever made.

9. SixxStringBass

SixxStringBass

It could just be the tapewounds, but I possibly see what you mean about the tone. As a lifelong player of roundwounds (generally nickels) the tone on the Rick seems to be a LOT different. It could also be due to the age, though. This thing is OLD and the electronics look like they could use some work. I've never played a Rick before though so I wouldn't know.

10. Tarrbot

Tarrbot

Well, tapewounds definitely would change the tone. Also, that year model had the capacitor still on it making a tonal change. It might have been bypassed over the years, though.

Regardless, a different type of string definitely make it sound different. I play flats on mine though. I've used tapewounds and while I liked them at first, switched back to flats after a while.

11. SixxStringBass

SixxStringBass

The tapes definitely feel good on the fingers, and the tone suits a certain style of playing, it's just for what I play it doesn't suit me much.

12. Immigrant

Immigrant

You have two weeks to decide what to do.

A) Save up for a Ric or

B) Kill your friend and hide his body real good. Keep the bass and tell those close to your deceased friend that he gave it to you prior to leaving. If you have time, have your friend write a note giving you the bass before you off him.

I prefer choice A. Choice B is for those with no conscience or a sickeningly overwhelming desire to own a Ric.

13. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil Supporting Member

If I may add a suggestion, get the bass refinished in some sort of ruby stain, kill him with the bass, and then nobody will notice the blood spatter on the murder weapon. problem solved!

I have tapes on my P bass and cobalts on my Ric. I can't imagine the Ric sounding like a 'Ric' (well, of the Geddy/Squire variety) with tapes. But if you enjoy the McCartney style bass tone, tapes should do a good job with that

14. SixxStringBass

SixxStringBass

If only I could save up and buy the Ric off him, I just got a new B208 ESP that will be coming in soon. Hopefully that bass turns out nicely. As to the refinishing to red to hide the blood, as good of an idea as that is, the bass's natural black and white finish is too nice :p.

15. Plays_For_Dog

Plays_For_Dog

Pee on it.

Tell him you marked it as your own. He might not want it back after that and there you go...

16. SixxStringBass

SixxStringBass

Not a bad idea, afraid he wouldn't like that idea very much..then again, that's what he gets for loaning ME his nice Ric :D

17. cavscout19d

cavscout19d Supporting Member

If he does not like you peeing on it, THEN kill him.

18. SixxStringBass

SixxStringBass

I like the way you think! :D currently contemplating whether I should play on it when I go out for a show tomorrow...It has seen better days but this may be the only chance I have to play a show with a Ric 4001