1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ian Paice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mystic Michael, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Given the soft spot in our hearts that we bassists generally have for our partners in the rhythm section - namely the drummer - I'd like to start a thread to honor one of the very best rock drummers ever to sit behind the kit: the incomparable Ian Paice. :cool:

Earlier today I was digging a bit into the archives, re-listening to some classic Deep Purple: Highway Star, Space Truckin', and Burn. As I did so, I recalled all over again the reasons why I like his playing so very much. Ian Paice is a human metronome - but with serious groove. He is, to my mind, a master of the flashy yet tasteful fill - and the super-syncopated kick/accent.

Just listen to him going crazy through the chorus section of Highway Star - jumping hard on each syncopated beat after beat, driving the energy level higher & higher & higher, always staying super-precise...before "settling" back down the verse section.

Listen to his playing on Burn - same thing: punching those syncopated beats like crazy - one after another; playing fills with the utter confidence that comes with complete mastery of the instrument, executing each note with pure precision, neither dragging nor rushing one iota - whether playing 32nd notes or quarter notes. Notice how he creates a sense of increasing intensity & urgency by pushing his intro to the verse section by a couple beats or so on each repetition, every time it comes around: Musical instinct and a sense of innate musicianship that just comes naturally - and is hard, if not impossible, to teach.

Notice how on Burn, the emphasis is all on the backbeat...while on Space Truckin', Paice is right on the beat - insistently pushing it forward, in a manner not unlike Motown drummer style from years of yore. His emphatic quarter-note pattern on the snare just drives that tune. :cool:

Does it sound like I'm impressed with Ian Paice? You bet I am! :smug:

Honorable Mentions:

- Terry Bozzio
    - Roger Taylor
    - Gavin Harrison
    - Neal Peart
    - Carl Palmer

MM

P.S. Does it seem to anybody else that "Paice" (i.e. "Pace"), is one of the all-time great names for a drummer? Sort of like "Foote" as the ideal name for a podiatrist? :smug:
  2. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

i love him; always have.
    really like his drumming on the Whitesnake album `live in the heart of the city`
    great groover. great tone.
  3. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

Jean-Paul Gaster from Clutch is like IP for the 21st century IMO.
  4. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

He's definitely a heck of a drummer. I'm surprised he didn't break out of rock and spread his wings a little bit (at least to the best of my knowledge)...he certainly had the talent.
  5. mellowinman

mellowinman

Wow, I was just thinking about this as I was driving home listening to my new Purple CD.

"Paicie," as Lord used to call him, was one of the all time great rock drummers.
  6. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Ian Paice
    John Bonham
    Carl Palmer

The rock drummer's holy trinity of my youth. Then a little later, I aded Jon Hiseman to the list.
  7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

I reckon we could probably add Cozy Powell and Aynsley Dunbar to that list as well. But then, where would we stop? :smug:

MM
  8. pica

pica

I became a DP fan at a real young age thanks to my older brothers. I think the reason I became a fan was because of their awesome rhythm section. I think he's a great drummer.
  9. lsabina

lsabina

He played on an album by jazz tenor saxophonist Eddie Harris. Recorded in the UK, in the 70s, if I remember correctly...
  10. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Is that the same album that Chris Squire played bass on?
  11. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

He's done Jazz in the past (as has Phil Collins), and has played with McCartney, Clapton, and other top tier tours (as has Phil Collins). Suffice it to say: he will be long remembered even after his playing days are over. They rarely make drummers like him these days - but when they do...one may rest assured he knows Ian's name ;)
  12. JimK

JimK

Fans of Paice should have this issue of Modern Drummer-
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MODERN-DRUMMER-MAGAZINE-TERRY-BOZZIO-OMAR-HAKIM-RARE-/271017342847

I bought it back in the day 'cause of the Bozzio/Hakim articles...eventually worked my way to the Paice article.
    He makes no bones that he is about feel...he is not an "educated" player & doesn't count. He does tell an anecdote about the Deep Purple recording with the Orchestra. Paice always hit his cues (by feel)...everyone else (those that "count") would miss their cues.

All 3 articles/interviews are long (NOT the 1-2 pages of fluff we have been seeing in the likes of recent Bass Player issues).

In the early '70s, Deep Purple & Led Zep were "my" bands...then I went onto other things. Last year, I did buy a couple of Deep Purple DVDs (my 2nd childhood coming on?)...Paice is a freight train (Blackmore & Lord were a lot better than I remembered).
  13. JimK

JimK

I have read about Squire's "Jazz" chops (is this Harris album LIVE?)...not too happenin & stiff...too engrained with "composed" basslines, etc.
    From the Paice interview I read in the '80s...I wouldn't think he woulda done a "Jazz" record. He loves Rock too much!
    :)
  14. lsabina

lsabina

Yes, the album is E.H. In The U.K. and Squire is on a couple of tracks.
  15. mcm

mcm

Yes he is killer and way underrated
  16. Richland123

Richland123

I have always been a fan of Ian Paice.

Here is another great rock drummer - Tommy Aldridge
  17. JimK

JimK

Yeah...& both played in Whitesnake. :spit:
    :)

Aldridge has certainly been around...in my 1st-ever garage band ('74), the drummer loved Black Oak 'cause of Aldridge.
  18. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Consumate showman, and an iconic embodiment of Rock Star Incarnate. I'm not sure his drumming has really evolved much since the 1970s, but that's almost besides the point.
  19. vlado

vlado

I always loved the way Paice played. But here's a few more from his period that I enjoyed listening to:

Michael Giles
    Clive Bunker
    Ringo
  20. Richland123

Richland123

I saw Tommy Aldrige live with The Pat Travers Band and with Ozzy Osbourne and he was really good with both bands.