Ibanez 4001 'Lawsuit Bass'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sexy_James_281, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Sexy_James_281

Sexy_James_281

Hey, Anyone else using a mock rickenbacker, i bought it off my dad, this is a 76 i believe. Been through hell, still plays very nice, it plays so much nicer than my old SX. Pics, Post if u got one.

Some Chips
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lol, this picture made me wash my walls, man they're dirty.
    [​IMG]

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Everybody duck!

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

:bag:

4. optikhog

optikhog

Oh no, Pandora's box has been opened! RUN!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. whizack

whizack

i had a hard time believing this was even real until i saw the pictures... now i want to eat soap.

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

What am I missing here? All the guy did was post a few pics of a Ric lawsuit copy. Guess there is an inside joke I am missing :confused:.

8. Darkstrike

:ninja:Ric purists! Beware!:ninja:

OP better have a mighty flame shield!

9. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris

Most posters who have seen this type of thing in the past figure that 1 of 2 or both things will happen:

1) The zealot Ric fans will show up and scream blasphemy :eek:

2) The Ric Company will show up and demand that the pictures be taken off the site, the bass destroyed and the bits and pieces mailed back to Ric. ;)

10. Darkstrike

+1

Those Ric boy's can't seem to get over the fact that some people wan a value for money instrument.

11. Siegy

Siegy

definitely seems like it's been through hell. I'd probably try to clean it up, maybe refinish it.

And then Ric would hire a hitman to "take care of" my bass.

12. TK-421

TK-421

I saw one of these in a local used gear shop about a year ago. I haven't played a read Ric but I can see why Ibanez would get sued over it.

13. optikhog

optikhog

In a twist of irony, the Ric boys may come out due to the Ric owner complaints. Yikes!

14. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

pff on a 30 year olod instrument? Rickenbacker are chumps

15. Sexy_James_281

Sexy_James_281

I definitly thought there would be some people saying BOOOOOO, but its a nice bass, and i think my dad paid like 130 for it in the mid 80's, and i bought it for 150 from him. Yay it could benefit from some cosmetic work, no one else dares to post a pic of theirs....does anyone else own one?

16. bobyoung53

bobyoung53

I'm a "Ric Boy" and the only thing here I didn't like was this insulting comment that was meant to incite Ric owners which are well worth the money you pay for them. In fact most of these insulting comments posted here say way more about the people who posted them than they do about us "Ric Boys". I have 4 Rics, two Gibsons and one Fender, I've owned probably 25 Rics in my life, a Rickenfaker doesn't bother me and I doubt it would bother anyone from Rickenbacker unless it had a Rickenbacker truss rod cover on it. Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. you guys need to grow up.

17. rfclef

rfclef

Wasn't that ZZ Top?

18. Green Mind

Green Mind

If I could ever find one at a decent price I'd pick it up in a second. I'd could never justify spending the kind of bread to get a real one.

19. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Yes... I had one years ago, but the redburst one... It actually sounded pretty good, the pickups were slightly microphonic, but once I put roundwounds on it, it sounded very good, more versatile than a real Ric.

I played it from 1976 to 1978 as my main bass, but my one complaint I had was that with no forearm cutaway, the top edge of the body was pretty "sharp" and it gave me a sore red slash mark on my forearm ( I started wearing sweatbands on my arm to cushion it) that took several months to go away. That kinda cured me from wanting a Real Ric, though.

But yes, I liked mine, I'd buy another one, but I'd only use it one set per night!!!

20. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Just like a real 4001!

I remember playing a few of these back in the 70's in a music store. Except for the bolt on neck, it felt like my '74 4001.

They also made a Dan Armstrong/Ampeg See-Through copy. I almost bought one, but the pickups were really thin sounding.

21. Darkstrike

Geez, sorry but this is the first thread on the subject where "Rickenbacker Purists" haven't bashed the lawsuit(or the modern knockoffs) into the ground, excuse me if I'll go on past experience, rather than assuming the best.

And I dont think Ricenbackers are worth almost two grand either. Espically considering they are unshielded, and the bridges are supposed to be auful to set up.