1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez 5 String SR535 vs. 6 string SR706

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by notrly1337, Oct 22, 2010.

?

The bass for me?

1. Ibanez SR535 (White)

40.0%
  2. Ibanez SR706 (Black)

60.0%
  1. notrly1337

notrly1337

I came through another problem on my road to buying myself another bass, as I don't know if I should get a 5 string or 6 string. It's really complicated really, so don't hate on me. haha
    :D

I'll just break it down for you.

[​IMG]
    Ibanez SR535
    -My favorite color is white and gold
    -I would string this to EADGC. I can always drop down haha
    -It would be easier on my hands, but a 6 string wouldn't hurt
    -Not much people would get jealous
    -Not so heavy neck

[​IMG]
    Ibanez SR706
    -Not really my favorite color but black is cool. I have a black bass already
    -heavier neck
    -Many people (from where I live) would get really jealous of this 6 string (I actually find this bad because I'm modest)
    -My bass teacher would get super jealous (He owns a 6 string Ibanez but at a lower end) and would probably put me down coz he would think hes better off using this bass. XD This is the main reason that hesitates me to buy this bass.
    -I have a larger range, which is good because I love playing every genre from classic, jazz to metal.
    -I talk to many people they all told me 6 string only because...
    -the girls will love it.

I really have a hard time choosing. thanks for helping me out. i don't think recommending another bass will work coz im pretty much stuck to ibanez by personal preference.
  2. Raccio14

Raccio14

Umm, there's really no comparison. The 706 is of a much higher series, so it's going to be a nicer bass, not to mention having the extra string. If money's not a question, than it's a no brainer.

I mean, thats assuming you want a six string :p
  3. Thrill-House

Thrill-House

I dont get this whole jealousy issue. Are the people around you actually going to give you a hard time because of what bass you use? It seems to me the most important thing should be what you need in the bass. I really like my ibanez 6 string, but if you wont make use of all 6 strings, theres really no point to buying one. The SR706 will be better quality, but they are pretty similar in terms of features (same pickups, preamp, neck size, frets, etc). Pick the one you like best.
  4. THIAGO Ibanez

THIAGO Ibanez

Ibanez SR 706 Hurry get it get it !!!!
  5. Double Agent

Double Agent

I play an Ibanez SR535 and it holds up well against basses I've played and owned that were much more expensive. It's a very nice bass!!!

That said, all that matters is if the OP wants 6 strings or not. I was open to a 6-string when I bought my SR535, there was an SR506 (same bass really, except it has a natural finish and 6 strings) in the same store and I gave it a whirl. But, in the end, I am always more comfortable on 5 strings than 6. So, I went with the SR535 and haven't regretted it yet.

OP, have you played a 6-string bass before? Did you like how it felt? If you haven't played one, I strongly urge you to do so before buying one. Play your teacher's bass, if he'll let you, and honestly evaluate how it feels in your hands and whether the extra string (which would be a low B in your case, since you plan to tune the SR535 E-C if you got hat route) adds any value to your playing or not. If you like playing a 6-string, forget about what OTHER people might think or feel and get the SR706. If the 6-string isn't comfortable for you, let me reassure you that the SR535 is a wonderful bass that you should enjoy very much.

PS - Trust me on this.....99% of girls really do not care whether your bass has 5 or 6 strings, so you can scratch that off your list of pros for the SR706.
  6. lucdell

lucdell

What model Ibanez 6 string bass is that?