Ibanez Aeb5e vs Ovation CC2474

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matungo, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Matungo

Matungo

Hi guys!

I'm thinking of getting an acoustic bass, but I cannot make up my mind regarding which specific bass to choose. I do have two finalists: Ibanez Aeb5e and Ovation CC2474. Which one would you recommend? I am particularly interested in playing acoustic (unplugged). Other options are welcome!
    Thanks!

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

When you say unplugged are you wanting to play with other musicians? ABGs aren't great at producing the volume needed. Regardless, I have the Ibanez and like it very much. Plays and sounds great. I've never plugged it in (it's at my parents' house) so I don't know how the electronics are. No experience with the Ovation.

3. Matungo

Matungo

Right! I would like to play by myself and with friends.

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

The tiniest ukulele will drown out an unplugged acoustic bass unless you set the action high and play really, really hard. Best to get one of those little cube amps, or whatever they're called.

I own the Ibanez and it's very good. 32" scale is very comfy. Electronics are fine. Nothing special.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Matungo

Matungo

Thanks, guys! I guess that's the usual problem with using an acoustic bass unplugged.
    Is Ovation a good brand? I don't know it.

7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

They're quite polular in the acoustic guitar world. Al DiMeola plays them. No one ever seems to talk about their acoustic basses. I think John Entwhistle plays an ovation acoustic bass.

8. Orangeclawhammr

Orangeclawhammr Supporting Member

I almost could have written this post. My only quibble is that I would have preferred an 30" scale when I bought it. Now I'm thinking of unloading it to finance a Gold Tone Microbass.

I have no experience with the Ovation. I don't know if you would find its round back more comfortable to play than the standard back of the Ibanez.

9. CoarseBass

CoarseBass

I have an AEB10 - it's cheap ($200) a couple years ago, and it works. Loud enough to jam with a friend on an acoustic six, but not loud enough for much more than a living room session. It sounds great with TI phosor bronz strings, but tension is very low, accentuating the crappy nut and fret work. Preamp is awful, sounds like junk plugged in.

For $200, I'm glad to have an ABG, but I'd look elsewhere if I was doing it again, if only for variety. Nothing about this bass screams keeper.

10. JACink

JACink

Not any more unfortunately.

11. JACink

JACink

BTW, I am not sure where you are, but if you can, try out a Tanglewood, they are a little larger and give a little more volume (still not a huge ammount, but a bit more).

I really liked the neck on these, but found the body a little too large for my tastes (YMMV)

12. MD

MD

Surprised you were able to generate enough volume with the TI's to hang with an acoustic guitar.