Ibanez AFR P/J vs Dimarzio Area J & Model P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cyprus, Jan 5, 2011.

1. cyprus

cyprus

Hey there,
    I've got a 92 Ibanez SR800 with the AFR P/J set.
    I've been thinking of taking the stocks out and replacing them with a Dimarzio Area J and a Model P.

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with a similar set up? How's the volume, sound, etc.?

Thanks!

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

The stock P & J pups Ibanez has used in their basses in the past have been the worst sounding P & J pups I can think of on an otherwise nice bass. Yes Dimarzios would be a very nice step up in sound qaulity. I had a Soundgear bass around that time and used dimarzios as upgrade. Made for much much better sounding PJ bass imo.

3. cyprus

cyprus

Aight, I went ahead and ordered the Model P's and installed them.
    It sounds sweeet!
    Gonna order the Area s now.

Was just wondering if anyone knew the dimensions to the AFR J? I'm not sure if I should get the neck or bridge. I had to make the holes bigger for the Model P's, and would prefer to just drop the J in.

Thanks!

4. ebonalley

ebonalley Supporting Member

I have the DP126 set in and they are pretty dark on my particular bass. I'm interested in how the Area J sounds.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox

I would match it up with a Dimarzio Model J. The Area J is lower output than the model J and made to sound like traditional pickup. You may have to rout bigger but Dimarzios are Fender drop in so you this may be the case with any pickup.

7. ebonalley

ebonalley Supporting Member

The Dimarzio website has the Area J with "155" output and the Model J with "150" output.

8. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox

I just went to their site and checked the pickups. That's strange to me since the Model Js are known to be a high output pickup. The Area Js are supposed to be a medium ouput pickup. Also, the output rating on the Ultra Js are 250! I had a set about ten years ago and they didn't seem much hotter than MIA Fenders.
    This brings me to another discussion. Remember the well known Bass Player Magazine Pickup shootout? The gave Model Js an output of 5 and Ultra Js an output of 4.5.
    Can anyone clarify this? 250 compared to 150 is such a huge difference.