1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ibanez ATK 300 - changing pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gosu128, Mar 18, 2014.

1. gosu128

gosu128

Hello Everyone!
    I have Ibanez ATK 300 bass (http://beat.com.ua/images/IBANEZ ATK 300 BK.jpg) with their triple coil pickup (active). Lately i'm loving Fender's P sound, or even PJ setup but after testing fenders i must say the neck and the feel of my ATK feels superior to me. This got me thinking in changing my setup in PJ config - instead of active tripple coil one. Anyone ever tried something like this before ?

2. DanSRX

DanSRX

I recently picked up an ATK200 (not sure if the pickup is the same as the 300). In my opinion this pick up sound bloody awesome as it is.

Are you talking about changing the wiring underneath the hood or actually putting totally different pickups in this (as in and actual P pickup and a J)? Because I don't think they would fit in the proper places because the P wouldn't be in the right place etc.

Wouldn't you have to fill a lot of space due to the J being much smaller than the Triple coil?

That being said I am currently building a bass which totally rips off the ATK, Musicman, and P-bass and will use an ATK body, MM Pickup near the bridge and a P pickup near the neck.

3. gosu128

gosu128

I feel my ATK sounds really honky or i can't really explain... Its all high's and mid's and no thump, thats why i'm thinking about changing. I don't know yet should i swap whole electronics or just pickup's thats why i tried asking here if anyone has any similar projects already finished. Maybe i should try and transfer ATK neck to PJ squier ?

4. jaysbass2002

jaysbass2002 Supporting Member

No thump?? I have two of them atk300 and atk305 mid 90's and there is no lack of thump. I here the atk200's don't sound as good as the earlier 300 models. Hmmmm?:bag:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. themarshall

themarshall

I'm kinda with you on this one. Love the neck on my 305 - electronics are 'meh'. I sort of suspect it's the pre rather than the p'up - but I'm on a passive trip lately. I've contemplated putting a P in place of the triple coil, but have a Tribute L2500 and Squier P5, both of which P very well, thank you. I hate to sound like a TB stooge, but do try flats, it helped on mine.

7. gosu128

gosu128

The neck and frets on this ATK are perfect, chunky yet so comfortable. Also neck is pure maple wich i love. Feels great i'm not the only one with this irritation. Are there any available resources online on pickup placement/ construction - on how to calculate the position and so on - i'm seriouslly thinking about doing this.
    The distance between bridge and neck is 22,5cm - is this enough to place PJ setup (the reason why i would place PJ instead of P only is because of all these knobs i already have - they would be used perfectly in PJ setup - also why not add a J pup without loosing any of the P values) ?

8. DanSRX

DanSRX

There is definatly enough room. But what you are talking about would mean losing the bridge as this is covering where the J would go and the bridge also has a nice big MM style hole in it.

If you want the P pick up where it is on a Fender in the sweet spot I would imagine this is overlapping somewhere between the bridge side of the scratch plate and where the current bridge ends. So that doesn't leave a huge amount of room unless the scratch plate and the bridge get thrown away / changed or modified.

There is a Hybrid pickup from Delano or someone I think that will give you a Jazz combined with an MM all in the MM Shell though. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/delanos-mm-j-hybrid-pickup-anyone-tried-these-yet-645127/

If I'm wrong then I apologise but that is the way I see it.

9. gosu128

gosu128

I understand i would have to modify the plate and the bridge, actually plate is not a problem since i removed it long time ago. Main problem is that i would have to run this project all bymyself since here in Slovenia i dont know any shops or people who would be able to do this.
    Now i would need some resources to read on how to approach this kind of thing (pickup position calculation, changing electronics, etc) before i start planing and buying parts.