1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ibanez Bartolini Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by slend3r, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Hey all, I'm looking at picking up a new bass and am looking at the Ibanez SR600. These come with Bartolini passive humbuckers, and an active preamp. The question I have is how do these pickups sound?

Right now I'm playing a Squier VM Jazz with Dimarzio Model J's which I love the sound of. I play loud aggressive music, and like to drop the volume on the neck pickup on my jazz to get a little more "bite" out the bridge pickup. I'm wondering if the Ibanez with the Bartolinis can get close to that sound any input would be appreciated.

Also I don't know if this belongs here of the bass forum, so redirect me if needed.

2. DaveyM69

DaveyM69

Jan 1, 2011
    I can't comment on the comparison to Squier VM Jazz with Dimarzio Model J's as I've never tried it, but I have recently picked up a Cort A6 which has the same stock electronics I believe.

The pick ups are fine (although I'm looking to swap them for the MK6s at some point soon). The pre isn't too bad - a little harsh on the treble as reported elsewhere in my opinion, but still very usable. I changed that out for a Bart NTMB and sounds even better now.

Not what you asked, but I hope it may be of some use.

3. No worries, was just mostly stating what I currently played and what type of music I played to give people an idea of what I was looking for.

I would love to be able to sit down with the bass before I pull the trigger, but there are no "big" music stores around that carry what I was looking at so I was just looking for some opinions. Appreciate the input.

4. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Dec 5, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    The Barts in the Ibanez are really nice. Pleanty of low end, nice top and solid mids. The pre allows you to dial in a lot of nice tones. Round, fat and punchy.

These are HiFi pickups. If you don't know what that means, you will notice right away.

Of all the Ibanez pickups I like the Nordstrand Big Singles in some of their basses. Over all better than the Barts.but the basses are more expensive than the 600 series.