1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez Basses and Fender Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by electroasim, Jan 28, 2012.

1. electroasim

electroasim

Why do you think Ibanez Basses are not as popular as Fender Basses? I am asking this because in my research for a new instrument (for first instrument I had a Squier P Special) I played with a lot of basses in many shops and I compared most Ibanez and Fenders.I know that they are very different instruments but...
    i)In the same money Ibanez gives you much better woods,better hardware,active electronics by great brandnames
    ii)When you play both , Ibanez blows your mind out (I talk for basses such as Sr500,600,700..).On the other hand,Fender basses costs more and you don't feel that reletionship of
    value-quality,unless you pay the double money..
    Finally I bought the Ibanez Sr705.I am having this for a year now,and I can't get borrowed of it.Everywhere I 've played with it,in any studio,with any amplifier,it always supports my playing 100% and everyone is asking me 'oh what instrument is this and it's sound so great'?'Ibanez makes basses like this?''Didn't know..'
    Do you think people are following the trademark Fender without trust their hands and ears?
    I also love Fender basses,and I probably buy one with four strings someday,really.But my question remains..
    Search for specs of instruments at the same money,and play these instruments.You will see what I mean..
    Peace
  2. Mike M.

Mike M.

I have both. Got an Ibanez SR505 and a Fender American Standard 5 string Jazz bass. Yep, two totally differant animals.

I prefer the Fender, but that's just me. I like the passive sound, I like the string spacing better and the way it fits me as a player.

Lot's of choices out there and whatever works best for you is all that matters.
  3. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Well lets see..

Fender = super popular American brand. Everybody has seen a Jazz bass or a Precision bass. Recognized ast the standard.

Ibanez = Japanese brand. Used by a lot of metal bands.

Of course Im really barely scratching the surface with the above description/comparison, and of course it also has no bearing on the actual quality of both companies' products (I own a Jbass and an ibby 6) but thats my reasoning as to why Ibanez isnt nearly as big as a big brand like Fender.
  4. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Ibanez has a bass for every occasion and every player.

Ibanez quality is better than Fender at any given price point.

Ibanez is a more intelligent purchase than Fender.

Best of all, you're not a sheep if you buy an Ibanez. ;-)
  5. tabdog

tabdog

I can not afford the high end basses.
    I am retired and on a fixed income.

The Ibanez basses in my price range
    do not do it for me. The sound is not
    there and the necks are flat and
    uncomfortable.

I got a Washburn that has a Ibanez
    type neck. I took the frets off of it
    and ground the fretboard until it has
    about a 9 inch radius. I also made it
    narrower. It is a nice fretless bass
    now.

I have not tried the higher end Ibanez.
    They may well be a better value???

That's my experience,

Tabdog
  6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

As an Ibanez guy, I would say go with Ibanez basses. they look nice, they sound pretty cool, and it's suitable for any genre. I own an Ibanez sr305 5-string bass and it sounded totally awesome. it's a definite keeper for me. if you're curious about Ibanez basses, I would say give them a try. you might me impressed with the sound quality.
  7. b-bottom

b-bottom Supporting Member

Dumb
  8. BassBob1

BassBob1

Plenty of people like the ibby basses and that's fine. Personally, I have never picked one up that I ever really liked. The necks are flat and thin front to back, which is something I can't stand. It's fender for me. Does that make me a sheep? No. Fender is the "gold" standard for a reason. Are they the ideal bass for every musical situation? Not necessarily, but neither is an ibanez. Do you need a fender to get a great tone? No. But a lot of players do get great sounds out of fenders and fender style instruments. Part of the beauty is in the simplicity of a passive bass with one or two pickups. You don't have to like it or understand it. Fender offers active electronics too, from the squier line up to the custom shop. And to say that ibanez offers better woods and hardware (I feel ibby's hardware to be lacking in quality when compared to fenders in the same price range) is highly subjective. The point is people like their fenders and play them. People also like their ibanezes and play them. People have their reasons for likening a brand or certain type of bass. I tried the active modern bass thing with schecters and a Spector and went back to fender. You obviously like your ibby. So play your ibanez and I'll play my fender.

Maybe now I can get some sleep.
  9. tabdog

tabdog

Tabdog
  10. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

I have Fendanez
  11. darius8

darius8

I play a Fender Jazz and will forever play Fender Jazz but recently I tried an Ibanez SR300 and was blown away. The sound from the stock PU's sounded HiFi-ish, the neck was very slim and straight, actions were awesome. If I was a slapper, this thing was begging to be slapped. If I needed another bass I would want something that doesn't sound like the Fender. Why have two basses that sound alike? My next bass would be an Ibanez SR series.
  12. Tom Cileski

Tom Cileski Supporting Member

You never know when you pick up a bass...the acoustic sound before you even plug it in...the feel of the neck...balance etc. I play my Ibanez as much as my Fender and wouldn't part with either.
  13. darius8

darius8

BTW, the SR300 has a 5-piece neck, a thick bridge, active EQ and the weight was very light. Not bad for $300. The newer SR300 has a mid control instead of the "style sweeper". I'm going to check them out when they start hitting the stores.
  14. tanktones

tanktones Registered Musical Abuser Supporting Member

+1

Currently strapping on a really hot SRX3EXQM1 which is a weird model number, but a beautiful quilted maple, very versatile cannon. This aggressive sounding Ibanez fulfills my heavier tastes almost completely.
    Nobody always feels the same way, and I don't always feel like banging my head or blowing faces off (even though that is alot of fun). For those times when I feel less Metalica and more Eagles, I am saving for a great passive bass. I've been looking at the SRs and a couple Fender models along with a few Fender look-alikes boutique basses. My finances are limited so I have awhile to keep salivating on every new bass that comes in town.

Variety is great, but expensive.

Tank
  15. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    The last Ibanez (SR300)I bought fell apart on me as soon as I got it home. Took it back and replaced it with a Traben. good thing I worked at GC at the time. I was able to really take advantage of the discount.

I've since matured, and prefer the Fender look and tone.
  16. Tom Cileski

Re: Variety is great but expensive.

It's nice to have at least one Fender. A bargain might just come along. I picked up a used Fender Jazz MIM for $200 that sounds great. I have played others that didn't do a thing for me though.
  17. armybass

armybass Supporting Member

As a former Fender snob I can tell you that Ibanez make great basses that do exceed in playability and options what you can get from what you could historically get from Fender for the same money. But that has not the case any longer. For many years Fender has competed with Ibanez with their Squire line as well as their other import and American basses. But more to your point, why do some prefer Fender and seemingly turn their noses up at Ibanez.... Fender has a long American History and you would be hard pressed to find a musician who does not have formidable memories of their heros and inspirations playing Fenders. The cult of personality and influence. You want to identify with the musicians who inspire you and play the same guitar.
  18. dabbler

dabbler

For backup.

But I like variety, too. Different strokes for different folks.
  19. Tom Cileski

Nothing sounds like a fender. (IMO)
  20. darius8

darius8

I see that you do alot shopping at Rondo's. I've been stalking those Ursa 2's and the Douglas fretless's for awhile now.:D