Ibanez body question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by skot71, Jan 18, 2014.

1. skot71

skot71 Guest

If this is not the right place for this, feel free to move it.

I have a '85 Ibanez DB700 Destroyer bodied bass. Paid only 25 bucks for it years ago and it works fine. Have repainted it a couple times. I'd rather it had a more "normal" body though. Here's a pic of one like mine that I found online.

[​IMG]

I'd like a body similar to an RB760 I found on ebay. Almost pulled the trigger on it, but found out it was for a 24 fret neck. My DB700 has a 21 fret neck. This RB 760 looked like it would already be routed for the pickups, knobs, and bridge placement. This is similar to the one I found.

[​IMG]

My question to all you is this. Is there a model number that would be a "replacement" for my bass? Anyone done this? Thank you for any info you can give me!!

2. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

You can find out what scale length your bass is by measuring it. Then when you are looking at bodies to match you can get the pertinent measurements and be sure about a fit for the length. Use the search tool

3. skot71

skot71 Guest

That's why I posted here. My DB700 is 34" scale length. I did some searching before I posted on the RB760. It's 34" scale length also. The difference is the number of frets. The necks wouldn't set into the body the same distance, right? If I tried to put my 21 fret neck on a body made for a 24 fret neck, wouldn't there be a gap from my neck to that body to get the scale length from the nut of my neck to the bridge of the 24 fret body? I did a lot of searching, then posted this to see if anyone had done this. Sorry if this is in the wrong place or worded wrong. Thanks for your reply bobdabilder!

4. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

Didnt mean to come across snotty if i did. I get what you are asking. You can measure from the bridge side of the nut to the 12th fret to rough it. Yes you are correct about the neck and frets did the 24 fret neck have any overhang on the fretboard over the body or was it flush?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. skot71

skot71 Guest

No, we're cool! The neck for that body is flush. Basically what I need is a body just like the red one I posted, but one that comes with a 21 fret neck originally. Didn't know if anyone knew of a Roadstar that came that way stock. Always liked the shape of those bodies. May have to make one. Just thought if one existed, I could look for that one.

7. thrasher666

thrasher666

I had one of those. Nice neck, but the body makes the first fret a STRETCH!!

8. skot71

skot71 Guest

Found an Ibanez body on ebay. Saw it was close to me. Messaged him and he accepted my offer of 25 bucks. Turned out we work less than a mile apart. So I have a TR 80 body. Have to make the neck pocket slightly bigger and rout it for my pickups. It had another bridge on it, which would work, but it's chrome and all my hardware is black. My next question is how should I position my bridge on this body? Specifically, where on the saddle adjustment range should 34" fall? I hope I'm making myself clear enough. Any advice would be much appreciated!
    (pic from ebay listing)

Attached Files:

9. skot71

skot71 Guest

Here's a pic of what I mean. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. I put a red line at 34". Is this where I should place the bridge? Having the G string at 34? Notice the E saddle is all the way back. Spring is all the way compressed. (Which I could cut the spring down if needed.) Just wanting to know if I'm on the right track. Or does the bridge need to be moved toward the neck? Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

10. JustForSport

JustForSport

Measure 34" from the body side of the nut to the G string saddle contact.
    That contact should be located 1/8" to 1/4" form the nut side of the bridge.
    This will leave a little adjustment for the G string, and the other strings will be intonated further back, and you should have enough saddle travel avail for them.
    For reference, dbl-check those measurements against a set-up 34" bass.

11. skot71

skot71 Guest

Thanks JustForSport!! That's the info I needed. That puts the bridge almost off the end of the body, but there's not much I can do about that.

12. JustForSport

JustForSport

You posted while I was typing (slow, I know), but leave a little travel avail at front of G saddle.
    The other strings will usually intonate approximately an add'l string width (each) farther back, progressively.

13. skot71

skot71 Guest

14. skot71

skot71 Guest

By searching and finding out the Ibanez catalog from 1997 (sticker in the neck pocket says the body is a '97), this body is made of Agathis (catalog spelled it Agatis). I need to fill parts of the P rout before I rout for my pickup. Anyone know a similar wood to Agathis I could use, or does it really matter? Thanks!!

15. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

I'm seeing similarities with cherry and basswood. I would be tempted to use maple. You going to repaint?

16. skot71

skot71 Guest

Yes, going to repaint. Thinking pearl white, but not sure yet. Maple it is. The wood shop at the university I work at is right across the hall from my work, so I'm sure I can get a few small scraps of maple there.

Thank you for the reply and help!

17. skot71

skot71 Guest

Did a Photoshop mockup, and I think pearl or metallic white is the way to go. Bought a set of red strings from the classifieds here. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

18. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

Very cool