Ibanez BTB Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fenwick, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Fenwick

Fenwick

Regarding (all different) 5-string BTB models, in your experience do they

a) have a solid B-string?

b) all come with 19mm string spacing?

c) have any models in particular that are string-through?
  2. Fenwick

Fenwick

Please and thank you?
  3. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

a. edit: i have played one with an ok mediocre at best b. but it could be the setup or the string type/gauge itself

b. only 5 strings are 19mm
    6 strings are 17mm

edit: sorry just noticed you already mentioned 5 string. my bad
  4. CRich0205

CRich0205

I had a 405qm an thought the b string was ok. But it never had a great setup either. The string spacing in mine was 19mm and it used the mono bridge where each string has its own independent bridge nor string through.
  5. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

The BTB series has one of the best low B strings I've ever played. That being said, my 6 string was nowhere near 19mm spacing. I think the spacing changed with model/year. Some BTB didn't use individual saddles, others did. No string thrus, but it's not necessary.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

A) It is alright, not world class but better than average.

B)As somebody said, 5ers are 19mm and 6ers are 17(.5?)mm

C)No, they all have individual ferrules for the bridge to my knowledge. Personally I think string through is greatly overrated, but to each their own.

I owned a BTB 676 and used it as my main axe for a while. Be warned they are prohibitively heavy, I do not recommend them for a 3 hour gig, you will get back problems.
  7. eukatheude

eukatheude

I've had a btb205 years ago, my second bass ever, and i sold it a while back.
    To your questions:

a) As far as i could tell, it was decent. Probably the costlier models are a lot better

b) AFAIK yes, only Soundgears have tighter spacing.

c) i think most models past the 600€ mark? I'm not too familiar with their current lineup.
  8. Ibby

Ibby

I have a 6 string btb and i like the B string
  9. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

My B string was great on the two I had. All 5s are 19mm. Most of them have the individual bridges and they "hook" the ball end of the string. No string through that I'm aware of.
  10. Fenwick

Fenwick

Thanks for the feedback guys.

From what I've gathered BTB's have an average to above average B-string, are 19mm spaing (5s) and are not string-through.

FTR, someone mentioned string-through as overrated, I enjoy it not because of any controversial sound qualities, but because the higher string tension suits lower tunings like Eb or D better for me.