1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez btb vs dingwall combustion HELP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RaincityhXc, Sep 14, 2013.

1. RaincityhXc

RaincityhXc

Hey guy I'm ready to upgrade my 5 string after updating my 4 I'm looking for a bass that could hold a low G# with good tension. I've used a btb in the past and liked it profile and the fact it's a 35 makes it a nice fit. How hard would the fanned fret and the 37 inch b string to get use too. Help me out guys. I use moderate distortion and clean. I'm a big fan of bands such as volumes meshuggah periphery etc etc
  2. Lowend65

Lowend65

I've owned a lot of Basses... nothing compares to the Dingwall Combustion in tone, sustain or the sheer massiveness of the low B string
  3. RaincityhXc

RaincityhXc

Would you recommend just a stock one or would any upgrades from dingwall be a bonus
  4. Lowend65

Lowend65

Start off with a stock one... don't bother with mods until you find shortfalls.
    Mine is dead stock with Payson nickel strings and is brilliant. I really can't think of anything to change
  5. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Nolly from Periphery uses two Combustions live. You'll need to get custom Circle K gauges to make a low G# tuning work well but the end results are WELL worth it.
  6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Not that you have any bias as to which is a better bass.:D

I've played the Combustion briefly and it was not particularly challenging to feel comfortable. I'm sure if I'd dedicated any regular practice I'd feel completely at home.
  7. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oh I'm biased all right. ;) Don't take my comments as a dig against Ibanez though. I've owned 3 of them.
  8. RaincityhXc

RaincityhXc

Yeah the main thing that pulling me toward the combustion is the fact nolly uses them and because I love
    Periphery.
  9. minimal

minimal Supporting Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCp8vE1ZT0g

That is exactly why I will eventually own a Dingwall. Will I ever be able to play like Nolly? Probably not, but that won't distract me from GASing for a Combustion and that low end goodness.

I just wish Nolly would release more of these vids. I love this track like this. But Periphery as they're actually recorded? Not at all.
  10. Bonedaddyshaker

Bonedaddyshaker

I've owned a BTB You cannot get the tension you need (only my opinion) or want with the BTB to run that .175 F# (and make it sound really great) the BTB is an incredible bass that has much to offer but I would still say even stock the Dingwall has more punch and clarity. As was recommended try it out stock and then make any mods you see necessary. The 37" scale makes a HUGE difference.
  11. johnnydingle

johnnydingle

I've actually owned a BTB and currently have a Combustion and tuned to G# on both. The Dingwall is a far, far safer option for that tuning. The BTB while clear, was a little more farty and floppy compared to the Combustion.
  12. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    Echoing what everyone else has said for obvious reason: Combustion, no contest.

The fanned frets take all of a handful of minutes to get used to (unless you a play a lot of chords with wide voicings past the 17th) and that two extra inches of scale length makes an enormous difference in punch and clarity when you tune down that low.
  13. bassofthe

bassofthe

Since you like Periphery, I'd say get the Nolly signature, unless your budget allows for a Canadian model. The BTB is a great bass, but it's no Dingwall.
  14. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

I had a Dingwall Combustion 5 string in the blonde colour with maple neck and I was playing it in Drop A at the time with the Dingwall strings on the bass. It was a great bass but I didn't really love the colour and I was really digging my Spector's at the time.

I just came across a new Combustion 5 in the nice Blue finish they offer and it's really caught my eye. My last combustion didn't have the electronic switch either, I think it was one of the first models. No doubt they're killer basses and with the right strings you'll be able to get an awesome tone and clarity out of the bass. The fanned frets were not an issue for me at all.
  15. brownie_bass

brownie_bass [this space for sale, cheap] Supporting Member

I purchased a 5 string ABII a few months ago - not a Combustion but it's the same scale so I thought I'd chime in.

On getting used to the multi-scale fingerboard: your fingers know where to go if you let them. I felt reasonably comfortable very quickly, and after a few weeks it felt completely natural. The biggest adjustment in my case was forcing myself to use 1-2-4 fingering, because the lower strings are just too long scale for me to do anything else comfortably. Your hands may be different, or you may use 1-2-4 already.

On G# tuning: Downtuned to A, my low string sounds as clear as a B on any conventional fiver I've had the privilege of playing. I think G# is probably feasible but haven't tried it. I don't think G# is feasible on shorter scale instruments, IMO.

I'm hooked on my Dingwall. I highly recommend one.