Ibanez - BTB550 or SR300? Which one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hernang87, Dec 19, 2012.

1. hernang87

hernang87

Hi,
    I'm looking to change my old bass and I have these two options at the exact same price.

On one side I have a second-hand BTB 550, made in Korea, 2007. It looks like a really nice bass though I have yet to play it.

On the other side I have a new SR300. The exact same price as the above. Made in Indonesia or China I think I'm not sure.

Both basses will be an improvement for me, but I want to choose what's best. I can get both options at the same price so that's my concern! One is second-hand and the other one is new.

I have played de SR300 and liked it quite a lot. I have yet to play the BTB 550, but it seems to be on a higher range of basses than the SR300, according to the specs at least.

Thanks Basscommunity!
  2. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

BTBs are quite different from SRs. You can't really compare them. BTB550 would be a higher model than the 300, but it'depends on what you prefer in a bass, what type of sound you're after, and so on. Specs, tone & feel they're different.
  3. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

I had a BTB500, made back in '99-2000, 4 string. Dang fine instrument. The BTB is gonna have a fatter neck and wider string spacing, but the soundgear necks you can really fly on. They're quite narrow, even moreso than most other basses. The EQ and pickups would be different, but being active you can make either one sound like just about anything, within reason. The BTB has a way bigger body than the SR, locking output jack, longer scale length which is great for low tuning. They're quite different in almost every way, but quality sound can be had from either. The BTB would have a little more EQ control though. You'd really need to play with either one and find out for yourself which suits you better. They feel, look and perform totally different in almost every way. But I'd say you'd be getting the "better" bass with the BTB because of the features, looks, and all the little bits and pieces that make it different. If you can look past the appearances and the sound, I think the neck & string spacing would be the deciding factor. Good luck!
  4. Andy_D

Andy_D Supporting Member

I have a BTB 555 (My Avatar) and it is a great instrument. Quality wise it's a few steps up from Ibby's 300 series. It has Bart MK1's in it and the wood is a little nicer. Mine is a Mahogany body, Maple top and back with a thin sandwich of walnut between the Maple and Mahogany. The neck plays quite well and I haven't even gotten around to leveling and dressing the frets (which I plan to do soon). The neck on mine (a fiver) is quite wide, But I like it and in fact now have a BTB456. It was actually easy for me to get used to.