1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ibanez BTB675 Vs. Yamaha TRBX505

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Robinanimate, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Robinanimate

Robinanimate

I am a longtime guitarist/bass newb who is planning the purchase of my first 5 string bass. I would like a versatile bass that can handle everything from classic rock to extreme metal. According to my funds and availability where I live, I have narrowed it down to the following choices:

http://www.gear4music.no/no/Gitar-and-Bass/Ibanez-BTB675-5-strengers-bassgitar-Nat/8RQ

http://www.gear4music.no/no/Gitar-a...s-Bass-gitar-gjennomsiktig-svart/QU0#full-des

As a third underdog option I have also considered this:

http://www.gear4music.no/no/Gitar-a...-T25-Bass-gitar-naturlig-mahogni/CRA#full-des

What would you guys reccomend, and what are the pros and cons for these three basses?

2. Draculea

Draculea

For versatility I would go with either Yamaha or Ibanez. Those two models are pretty good, but in the end it comes to personal taste and preference since they're different beasts. The Ibanez BTB, however, has a 35 inch scale, which allows for the B string to have a more defined sound. The TRBX has a nice B string as well, considering it's got a 34 inch scale length.

Bottom line is IMO, choose what you like. I personally like both, but if I had to mention a flaw, it would be in regards to Ibanez with the unfinished fret ends sticking out from the sides of the fretboard, I've seen this in Ibanez basses I have tried and /or owned, especially Indonesian ones. Hope this helps a bit.

3. LostInSauce

LostInSauce

Just my opinion; but I've yet to play a BTB that wasn't heavy. They've got great tone...but 3 hours into a gig and my back and shoulder was sore. I just got the TRBX305 last night. Rather light and very comfortable. Only difference between the 305 and 505 is the electronics; everything else is the same.

4. Robinanimate

Robinanimate

The weight issue is of course something I'll have to consider, but I am more interested to learn about the balance, string buzz and how the overall neck handeling compare on these basses. The Yamaha is the only one I have tried in store, but I do love the design of the Ibanez soo much though. If anyone could tell me how the BTB handles compared the TRBX it would be a great help.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

Hey Robin,
    just tried both from a student of mine.
    They are both very good basses for the money they ask, and both versatile, well the neck is a bit different on both, the Ibanez is thinner and the string spacing is different, unfortunately yamaha now is using the 18 mm /except patitucci's model) the btb 5 strings is the only that use the 19 mm spacing (to me a thing to don't underestimate)
    The btb standard series allow you to set a good low action but you'll have some fret buzz on the 2nd octave (common on not expensive bass) if that thing annoying you, but I heard the fingerboard on the new btb 1405 is better.
    The pickup of the 675 are not the best, bartolini cheap series, anyway to me strings spacing is important, 19 mm is always the best for versatility, so if was me I will pick the btb 675.
    The general sound of the new no-top Yamaha bass don't make me crazy, I remember I tried several times the 1005 series, always bad feeling..

www.enricogaletta.com
    on youtube
    on twitter
    study with me

7. Robinanimate

Robinanimate

Thanks Enrico,
    That the neck is thinner on the ibanez, coupled with the wider string spacing, is definitely somthing I'll concider. I feel a little wiser now:)

8. duckman999

duckman999 Supporting Member

No, the pups are different too between the TRBX's